Beer clearing in bottles but not keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

Yeast like US 05 and T-58 seems to clear in bottle but not in keg?
Any ideas??
I know you can add gelatin, but never really had to do that. Standard kits , nothing special.

Thanks

If you are bringing significant sediment into package (bottle or keg), be mindful in a keg the dip tube is at the bottom of the keg, so it will pickup any sediment, where in a bottle you gently pour off the sediment and leave it behind. It's best to focus on your crash chilling habit and transfer habits and leave as much as you can behind in the FV to have the clearest beer from kegs. I don't use finings just cold temp and time, get super clear beers on tap, unless it is a Hazy hop bomb of course :)

Yeast choices are important to.
S-04 and Nottingham are both much better as sedimenting than is US-05, they stick to the bottom more too.
Racking to a secondary fermenter is another good way to reduce yeast sediment, sadly gone out of fashion around here but it still works.
Mark

The difference is where you are sampling from. In bottles, the yeast settles to the bottom, and you pour the beer off it, leaving the sediment behind. In kegs, the dip tube is at the bottom, so you're always sucking sediment up with the beer. Stuff will keep dropping out of the beer as it ages, making now sediment for your dip tube to pick up.

The solution is floating dip tubes. They ensure you're always sampling from an inch below the top, which is where the beer is clearest. They're cheap and easy to install - I've done all of my kegs with them now.

Thanks - maybe last couple of beers may have had more sediment than usual - maybe sucking through that. (on one of kegs I did cut it 1/2 inch shorter - to help with that)

I never had issues beer doing the same way... I just thought the yeats might be different, although used US 05 beer...

Yes I was thinking floating dip tubes ...

I used to do secondary fermenting - but some went off - I think because of oxygen and another vessel to wash and maintain - so increases the odds of something going wrong. In secondary fermentation, do use a container that is filled to top - so no air gap? I dont see how it produces enough co2 to protect the top. I have a fermenting fridge that I might set 2 degrees for a few days before kegging to cold crash - get rid of most of the sediment. I think that would be the way.

thanks

I go by clear wort into the fermenter, clear beer out. Cold crash to drop all suspended particles then bottle or keg.
I have a spear in the King Keg but still pours clear.
This arvo's bitter.

IMG_0216 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0215 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0215 - Copy.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back