How many of you get the 10c a bottle or can?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering how many of you are using the return and earn. New for us in Nsw. I know someone in Adelaide that don't bother.

Do you bother ?

thanks

If its cans you only get 9 c because the can was worth more then a cent for scrap government and operator are doing very well out of the scheme.

Retailers forced to slug customers and extra $4 per case and the customer only gets back $2.4

Its a new tax wrapped up in a BS scheme.

If you live near the border can duck over and save but thats not good for local shops.

Its the usual screw, when there is a chance to put the price up they do, I know someone that works in the buying dept its gone up 18c not 15c.
Manufacturers pay 15c to TOMRA, we get 10c, 5c margin to put in all the machines, maintain, collect, store..Not a heck of a lot of money BUT the real winner is the 15c that has been paid for and people still use the yellow bin... millions a day.. I heard something like 11 000 bottles a minute are made by coke (that is all brands and they have 200 or so)? Some crazy figure... I am not sure what happens to the cans and bottles when they get picked up in yellow bin - would the yellow bin recycle company like Viora (?) get the 10c? Wow they are getting a double whammy, being paid to pick and getting the 10c, surely there must be an agreement.....

Anyhow the good news is I have seen kids collect cans from places they would be in land fill...

I was just interested if people are bothering......

Out of people you know, say 10..5/10? 1/10? how many would bother, people I know it is probably 50% max?

cheers

If you do not want them taking from your bin would suggest crushing the cans and destroying the labels on the bottle seems that some places thay are making a big mess .

That will be a big problem - people going through the bins and chucking stuff all the place so more stuff will end up the rivers ...

Has the Government looked at money laundering if you have some black cash buy the bottles and cans with cash and cash in and your money is washed earned by collecting bottles and cans.

To a South Australian this sounds like an American trying to justify lack of gun control...

Yeah... Seriously folks. SA has had this for decades and the world has so far failed to end.

People ratting through bins... Yeah, maybe but I doubt it will lead to massive pollution problems. Money laundering... Seriously? That's a pretty low efficiency method there. I'm sure someone at a depot would notice if someone drove up with a truck full of brand new bottles to recycle.

Its a good idea. It drives recycling rated right up. SA has the highest recycling rate in the country buy a long shot and that's because of the container deposit. It's not some dark government conspiracy or a secret new tax. It's a self funded scheme to drive up recycling rates which are, at the moment, except in SA, woeful.

If you really hate it, just drink home brew and you never have to pay for a bottle ever again...

That will be a big problem - people going through the bins and chucking stuff all the place so more stuff will end up the rivers ...

i just got home, its bin night here and low and behold, a couple pull up across the street and begin walking down the street either side scabbing through the recycling bins, blowing 30 knots here tonight on the coast so see how much litter escapes the bins tonight.

Has the Government looked at money laundering if you have some black cash buy the bottles and cans with cash and cash in and your money is washed earned by collecting bottles and cans.

you been watching Ozark ?

On the radio yesterday about a man observed in the rain with expensive luxury car going through the recycle bins and putting the cans and bottle in the boot .

It's a shite scheme, but f##k it. I'll make the most of it.
Every bottle & can goes round the side in a tub. When it's full, I take it down to the local carwash that does it by hand.
So far I've reclaimed $20.

It's a shite scheme, but f##k it. I'll make the most of it.
Every bottle & can goes round the side in a tub. When it's full, I take it down to the local carwash that does it by hand.
So far I've reclaimed $20.
Being a shite scheme would be a benefit for those who want to collect if it was easy everyone would be returning .

Latest posts

Back