How Many K&k Ppl Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many K&K people Keg their beer

• Keg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottle

• Other

• Total voters
I kegged my second ever K&K it was Coopers Real Ale, gassed it at 240kpa for two days at 3degrees. When I turned the reg down to 70kpa and burped the keg, I still get a shit load of head in my beer.

(almost like when they pour guiness at the pub and you have to wait for it to all settle)

You've over carbed it quantocks. you'll need to shake it and burp it (with a towel over the relief valve so it doesn't spray everywhere) and keep doing it until it's good. may take a few days. Next time either leave it on pouring pressure for around a week, and it will be fine, or follow the Ross Method (look up the step by step thread by als_world: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10667 ) but be conservative and even though it may be slighly undercarbed to start with, it will equalise if you keep it at pouring pressure. Make sure there are no leaks by spraying diluted detergent on all your gas joints.

I'm a kit brewer and I just recently started kegging. I quickly tired of the bottles and so before I got too lazy with my bottle cleaning processes I spent my tax cheque and got akegging. I have filled all of the 4 kegs I started out with and drained one. I wanted my first keg to be a good'n so I got me fresh wort kit and was immediately taken by the ease and time-saving that came as part of the fresh wort experience and so I have done 2 more to follow up. The brew that is fermenting now to fill the fourth keg is a LCPA k&k attempt. my first at this style, and so if it comes out a goer it will probably occupy at least one of my kegs at all times.
Kegging has definitely kept me in the game, only now I am worried that I will not be happy with my kits after four good fresh wort packs. I don't have the time or space for AG so if it ends up costing me the $40 for a fresh wort to fill each keg then I am still happy to hand over the $.

I bottle mostly because of mature factor. I have many different brews aging ( 15 -25 cartons at any time) and expense of gear to keg and set up bar is a factor. Half baked wont cut it. Fonts, taps, fridges,shiney stainless steel bits and pieces etc and bar parifinalia, parafernaliar, para-- (stuff).
I like variaty too. To have 10 - 20+ kegs with a range of brews would be out of the question at the mo. To mature in kegs too would be silly for this amount. Things may change if I start AG but for now I am satisfied with bottling and prefer to spend on better quality products and enjoy what I do. :icon_cheers:
Daz

You've over carbed it quantocks. you'll need to shake it and burp it (with a towel over the relief valve so it doesn't spray everywhere) and keep doing it until it's good. may take a few days. Next time either leave it on pouring pressure for around a week, and it will be fine, or follow the Ross Method (look up the step by step thread by als_world: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10667 ) but be conservative and even though it may be slighly undercarbed to start with, it will equalise if you keep it at pouring pressure. Make sure there are no leaks by spraying diluted detergent on all your gas joints.

thanks Bonj. Doing that atm, although the brewcraft keg guide said 240kpa for 3 days and then drop to 100kpa for serving. I only had it on 240kpa for 1.8 days and still too much head? not many bubbles in the actual beer, but enough to drink!

quantocks
lots of foam and no (or few) bubbles are the sure sign of overcarbonation. It's the lack of bubbles that confuses some people, but thats due to the gas not being able to remain in suspension at the lower (relative) serving pressure. and 100kpa@3C would give you 2.9volCO2. Your 70kpa sounds more reasonable at this temp.
check out the balancing guide here , but in the meantime, just continue degassing as was suggested by bonj.

Bottling......i had that joy of washing again today im thinking Kegging is the way to go

I've just knocked together a fermenter full of ESB 3KG Draught, the can was full of big chunky hops? will these float to the bottom and stay in the primary or will they get sucked into the keg?

Looking forward to one day moving to a keg setup. In the meantime, its bottling for me. I have been bottling for years though, and buying the house (with a shed for home brew of course!) is higher on the agenda.
Cheers

I have a booster pack (500 dex, 250/250 LDME/something else?) and a can of Beermakers Draught,

if I mix the booster pack with this and make up to 18 litres, any idea if this will be okay for a quaffer or should I add more dex?

Kegging is really nice for drinking at home, but not so easy for drinking out, so now I pour some into bottles when I go out, perfectly clear gassy beer.

One day hope to get into AG, hoping to be able to once study is finished at the end of this year, might have to ask if anyone in the south of Adelaide is into AG and might be willing to show me the ropes one day when they are making a batch.

This is making me thirsty!

crundle,

when you pour from the tap to a bottle, does it hold it's fizz until you get to the party to drink them?

crundle,

when you pour from the tap to a bottle, does it hold it's fizz until you get to the party to drink them?

I don't know how crundle does it; but mine certainly do. A proper counterflow will fill a bottle without (noticibly) losing carb, and my understanding is that it will store fine, as the counterflow filler purges the bottle.

I use a bottling wand shoved through a bung, attached to a bronco tap, and even though it's not counterflow, even that will easily hold its carb for the purpose. I've had leftovers that have sat for a week or more, and even they seem OK. (although, you do start to get some staling occuring at that length of time due to that style of filling not flushing the bottles. But it's not meant to be used for long term storage. In the short term, relative to taking some bottles out, its not an issue. I usually fill the day before going out.)

I bottled homebrew kits years ago and got sick of washing bottles. I have finally returned to homebrewing (after a ten year break) and have a keg set up which I wouldn't swap for all the tea in china. i hope to progress to AG, but will learn more about the craft first ( hopefully from more experienced brewers)

I have just kegged a 3KG ESB Draught 3 days ago, it's absolutely beautiful on day 3!

doesn't taste like carlton draught, but that's expected obviously, still very nice!

no bottle conditioning and waiting months, 3 days in the keg and in my hand :D

Back