How Many K&k Ppl Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many K&K people Keg their beer

• Keg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottle

• Other

• Total voters
I bottled for about 6 years before I got into kegging. I only managed 2 K&K brews in the keg before I went AG. Mostly because I was preparing to go AG anyway, and an opportunity came up to quickly acquire the rest of the bits I needed, so I jumped on it.

I went kegging well before I went AG. Switched the kegging about 6 months after starting brewer (still on K&K). If I hadn't switched the kegging I probably wouldn't be brewing anymore.
Bottling now only happens for Xmas cases and comps and I still dread it.

Doc

If I hadn't switched the kegging I probably wouldn't be brewing anymore.

Agree with you there. Kegging (or rather the removal of bottling) is what got me enthused with brewing again.

Now that the bug has bitten hard, I would keep brewing if I had to bottle... but I love my kegs!

I got my kegs about 2 months ago

The first thing I kegged was my 4th AG

The thing I like most about kegs is that you don't need to finish off a whole long neck - and it is sooo much fun pouring beers out of your own taps

I've got 4 kegs at the moment
1 x Soda Water
1 x APA
1 x Weizen
1 x half APA / half Weizen

Hopefully I can grab a couple more - take the gas bottle out of the fridge and have 6 kegs in there (it'll take 6)

Re: getting invited to parties I've purchased a bronko tap - which I'll add a length of hose to and pour into plastic bottles - and pressurise with a carbonator cap.

The beer should be good to go!

Cheers

I can't afford to buy a kegging setup yet. So I have a money box next to my bed and I am quietly saving for a keg set up!

till then, I bottle.
oh the best laid plans of mice and men...

still good idea...i 'm going to do the same now i've read this

im still bottling but im lucky enough to have a champ who owns my LHBS who is letting me laybuy a keg setup. man i cant wait till she's paid off :beer:

to the guys who do keg,if you make a brew up to say 23l dont you bottle the rest that dont fit into your 18l keg? that is my plan-the bottled beer then goes into my "BEER BANK" in the cupboard for tasting in 6mth and 12mth intervals

cheers,Dan

if I could afford it I would go to keg setup. any that doesnt fit in the keg would be bottled and matured. But as I need a fridge or freezer as well as the kegging gear I'll be waiting a little while.

IMO I dont think it matters whether you are K&K or AG. Its really a matter of convience. its more time efficent kegging than bottling, but more expenseive to setup in the beginning. sort of similar to the arguments over K&K and AGing.

Plus with kegging you have it on tao whenever you want. less storage space problems, dont have to drink a longneck if you dont want to etc.

The argument over why bother if your only K&K. you should only bother if your AG is a bit silly . Hopefuylly if your K&K the beer is tasting great anyway otherwise why bother brewing at all.

i kegged as a k &k brewer , now moving to AG but still k&k at times..

to the guys who do keg,if you make a brew up to say 23l dont you bottle the rest that dont fit into your 18l keg? that is my plan-the bottled beer then goes into my "BEER BANK" in the cupboard for tasting in 6mth and 12mth intervals

cheers,Dan

I only make up my K+K to 20.5lt. Gives a better more intense flavor, I used to bottle any left overs but now I have a blend keg, Whick is all the little bits all mixed together. It would now have a combination of over 20 different brews in it and it always suprises me as to just how good it is. Contains everything from stouts to Mex Crevez. Only thing I didn't add was the apple cider I did recently.

FROGMAN.

Have never seen a brewer say, "I wish I didn't keg my brews."
And I don't think you ever will!!
I've been kegging for about 5yrs and will NEVER go back. Still K&K, but hopefully
not for long :beer:

Dave

Bottling is why I gave HB up in the first place.

Kegging is why I got back into it!

I only make up my K+K to 20.5lt. Gives a better more intense flavor, I used to bottle any left overs but now I have a blend keg, Whick is all the little bits all mixed together. It would now have a combination of over 20 different brews in it and it always suprises me as to just how good it is. Contains everything from stouts to Mex Crevez. Only thing I didn't add was the apple cider I did recently.

FROGMAN.

:blink: your kidding...remids me of the drinking game you play with cards where someone draws the cards that means you have to drink the slops jar :huh:

:blink: your kidding...remids me of the drinking game you play with cards where someone draws the cards that means you have to drink the slops jar :huh:

kings cup?

lol, played that once, ended up with red wine, beer baileys and milk in it.

about a pint worth =\

so glad i didnt have to drink that one.

just wanted to bump this as I just finally got my Keg setup all going,

any good tried and true recipes for a keg setup?

just wanted to bump this as I just finally got my Keg setup all going,

any good tried and true recipes for a keg setup?
Welcome to the kegging lifestyle, there is no looking back.

As mentioned earlier you can reduce you fermentor size to suit a keg,
or bottle remaining beer,
or as I do, since I always do 2 fermentors at 1 time, pour the dregs from both fermentors into another keg; gives me just under 1/2 another keg.

My retainer beer is Morgans Blue Mounain Lager with 500g LDME,500g Dex, 200g honey and extra hops. All boiled on the stove.

Also you need to allow extra fermentables up front as you dont get the alcohol from the extra sugar in the bottles.

QldKev

I've got my keg a short time ago and have only just filled 6 of them up from brews done at u-brew-it. Once some stuff settles down at home will be getting into the K&K for a while and then experimenting a bit further after that.

Filled my first keg and put it on the gas the other night. Cannot wait to get home tonight and pour my first glass (and many more!!!) :beerbang:

Still bottling here, but looking to move to kegs shortly.... Planning to have it all up and running by Xmas (including having tested it with a couple of brews :p )... Can't wait! Should have a brewing fridge happening on the weekend, so I will have temp control for brewing so I will be making some much nicer beers ready for my kegs (that's the plan anyway! ;) )

Filled my first keg and put it on the gas the other night. Cannot wait to get home tonight and pour my first glass (and many more!!!) :beerbang:

I'm thinking that after all the crap at work today, a few cold beers straight out of the tap will go down a treat. No I just need to pull the finger out and put some pics up on the kegging setup thread.

Back