How Long Is Too Long?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
How long is too long in the fermenter for a lager at 16-18 degrees? Just bottled a batch that smells a little like vinegar but NO growth on top. It was in about 5 weeks.

Nat the fermenter smells like beer, just smells different in the bottle.

I've certainly had brews sitting in a fermenter that long, though it's not ideal.

From what you describe, it sounds like it might be infected though. Have you tasted a sample? Does it taste off? (this is when it's handy to have been tasting brews at different times so you get an idea of what normal tastes like :) )

T.

How long is too long in the fermenter for a lager at 16-18 degrees? Just bottled a batch that smells a little like vinegar but NO growth on top. It was in about 5 weeks.

What did it taste like? This is what is most important. If the taste was like vinegar, you could have some problems, mate.
Cheers, John.

Edit- beaten by drtomc

leave it a little longer, and then you can add it to your chips with a bit of salt, delicious

hey fatso - go away!

I've left beer in the primary for 7 weeks before, got called away for work and didn't have time to transfer it. Not ideal but the batch turned out fine. Have a taste!

What is your problem? (aside from the obvious!!!)

The obvious = you are an alcoholic

Maybe be you need another 10 fermentors in your room, then all will be ok; does Coopers have that many kits on hand?

Maybe I shouldn't argue, you will be gone within a few months...

The obvious = you are an alcoholic

Maybe be you need another 10 fermentors in your room, then all will be ok; does Coopers have that many kits on hand?

Maybe I shouldn't argue, you will be gone within a few months...

Bit rough calling some one an alcoholic on a homebrew forum,because they brew heaps.

But I do agree about a few months.Burns real bright then fades.........................never mind.

Taste like balsamic vinegar? Gravity reading has Pulled up ? sounds like a infection Mate !!

I highly doubt vinegar (if that's what you are tasting) has anything to do with the amount of time on the yeast. If fruit flies made their way into your brew and it sat with available oxygen at those temps then maybe.

First of all make sure that what you are describing is what you are really tasting.

Secondly, if leaving beer for an extended length of time (say over 2 weeks once Final gravity is reached), either chill it (put fermenter in fridge) or transfer to a oxygen impermeable vessel and reduce the headspace to an absiolute minimum.

If you make epxeriemental/soured beers there is some leeway but I don't think you are.

I prefer to transfer beer to another vessel for the last bit of fermentation to avoid yeasty flavours (a lot of people don't do this and report no problems) but vinegar is something else.

Bit rough calling some one an alcoholic on a homebrew forum,because they brew heaps.

But I do agree about a few months.Burns real bright then fades.........................never mind.

OK, sorry to all that read this.

5 minutes ;)
Seriously though, using a lager yeast at the right temperature 4,6,8 weeks, no problems. However at 18deg for 5 weeks???? Dont sound good.
I liken some lager yeast starters (fermented at high temps) to being all egg a little vinegar with hints of Roturua and overall damn disgusting hence they always get tipped and only the yeast finds it way thru.
Maybe an ale yeast you can choke and strangle and hide behind, lager yeast is a little less forgiving as no doubt you finding out.

By the way. I am down to 5 fermenters now becasue I cany drink all that I am fermenting, hence the reason it sat for 5 weeks. What am I saying, I don't need to explain myself to anybody!!!!

Fasty, if the quality of your homebrew is actually promoting you to drink a bit less, that is a good thing. Quality over quantity. Also, if you drink less, patience comes easier. You left a beer in the fermenter for 5 weeks, that is a start. Maybe look up beers that actually need that long and try brewing them :) good luck champ.

OK, sorry to all that read this.

You sure you're not the one with 10 fermenters and a booze problem....??.... Take a chill pill mate and let Fastys body give him hard time, not you and your shitty day.

You sure you're not the one with 10 fermenters and a booze problem....??.... Take a chill pill mate and let Fastys body give him hard time, not you and your shitty day.

Hear, hear! Some people enjoy a drink frequently, some don't. Some binge on Vodka, Bourbon or whatever may take their fancy, but it doesn't make them wrong (though if not brewing the odd beer or interested, perhaps unsuitable visitors to this site?). Come one, come all, but don't impede my homebrew unless for the better or experimental! :D

Go Fasty73! Dont bother what people having a shitty day say!
I can not give you any more advice then what others have already other then just spend extra time on your sanitisation and best of luck!

Latest posts

Back