How Long Is Too Long In The Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
How long can wort be kept in the cube?
Is it OK to keep unfermented wort in a no-chill cube for long periods of time before fermenting.
I havent done a FWK for a while now (since I started doing AG) but I never noticed a "use by" or "best before" date on them.
Ive got a couple of full no-chill cubes in the garage that are getting close to 4 months old, just wondering if they are still OK.
Can anyone offer advise on this?

Cheers

Gregor

ive got 15 month old ones though i think craze holds the record of about 2 years.

Commercially, the Fresh wort packs have a best before date of 2 years. Fresh is best though.

cheers Ross

Commercially, the Fresh wort packs have a best before date of 2 years. Fresh is best though.

cheers Ross

I think I can trust your word on that one considering your latest business venture. Congratulations by the way.

i have gone over 12 months with no problems. Dont leave them in a 45 deg garage all summer though.

At what temperature should you keep them??

Same as anything really, you want to avoid the reactions that take place over time. Those reactions are going to be slower at low temperature. Also keeping them out of the light would be good.

In the fridge if you can... but who the hell has room in their fridge for cubes of wort? So anywhere cool and dark would do - the cooler the better.

Its also probably going to depend a little bit on how careful you were when you packaged them. Squeeze out all the air? Avoid most of the hot break and hops? Didn't splash it too much into the cube? They'll all affect how well its going to age.

In a couple of years you would have lost a lot of IBUs wouldn't you?

Latest posts

Back