How long for diacetyl rest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifting79

Reaction score
G'day guys I have a bells two hearted that i have just raised the ferment temp on.
It was at 18 c for 11 days I have now ramped the temp up to 24c and has been there for 4 days I have also just dry hopped it but I wanted to make this beer again as the first attempt was a diacetyl bomb
U.S.-05 yeast two packs in 22 ltrs still in primary

So how long can I leave it at 24 c and is it ok to leave it there for a couple more days while i wait for the pellets to drop out as I can't change the fermenting temp as I also have a saison in the chamber once it's been dry hopped for a few more days I plan on cc before racking to keg

I understand that the d rest is not really nessecary but due to my last batch of this clone I am trying to have a little bit of a play with d rest

I would have thought two packs and at 18 for 11 days fermentation would be done, diacetyl rest is done towards the end of fermentation but before it is completely done.

I have only ever worried about a d-rest for lagers/pils never for ale yeasts but the process should be the same, I like to hold at elevated temp for two-three days max.. If it were me I'd start slowly dropping the temp over the next couple days if you want to give it more time.

Till the diacetyl is gone.

Best off trying to reduce the level in the first place through healthy yeast pitching at cold temps. If you can't ensure sufficient healthy yeast, pitch warmer and cool quickly or look at drauflaussen. Also some strains are more prone to diacetyl production than others.

If diacetyl rest is not working, you can pitch a healthy active yeast starter into the beer and it should reduce the VDK level.

I haven't got a fermentation problem I think it's fine but wanted to do a rest anyway to be sure
But I will bring the temp back down after tasting today ready to rack
Thanks gents

cooperville said:
I haven't got a fermentation problem I think it's fine but wanted to do a rest anyway to be sure
But I will bring the temp back down after tasting today ready to rack
Thanks gents
You can also do a total vdk level test. Can't remember the details but easy enough to google.

Latest posts

Back