How long does milled grain stay usable

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun07

Reaction score
I have just started my AG journey, my first brew is under the belt and I’m pretty happy with the results so far. My question is I have a milled grain kit that I decided to postpone for an easier brew first try. How long will the milled grain last ?? Do I need to vac seal it for it to still be usable?? Any help here would be appreciated

Cheers beers
Tim

I'd vac seal it if you dont plan to use it within a week or 2, i dont know how long it will keep but if you put it in a sealed container it should be good for a few weeks.

Well..it depends...once you crack it it will get exposed to moisture in the air and start to convert*.

You should get a few weeks out of cracked grain if you leave it in an airtight container in the cool.

If you vac seal it, it will last considerably longer...months..years...depends on how quick you seal it and how good your vac bags are

* Does not apply to Xtal's,dark grains, etc that have been kilned/roasted after conversion. They should last for ages

Obviously it's best to use crushed grains quickly, however they will last a surprisingly long time if not exposed to moisture, light and air. I had a brew ready to go at the start of 2021 and for various reasons it got badly delayed. The grains were kept in a sealed plastic bag inside an opaque chiller bag, at room temperature. The brew happened several months later and everything was fine. Numbers worked out and it tasted good.

Obviously it's best to use crushed grains quickly, however they will last a surprisingly long time if not exposed to moisture, light and air. I had a brew ready to go at the start of 2021 and for various reasons it got badly delayed. The grains were kept in a sealed plastic bag inside an opaque chiller bag, at room temperature. The brew happened several months later and everything was fine. Numbers worked out and it tasted good.
Thanks for the info they spent a couple of weeks In the sealed bag from the brew shop in a black container in the garage. I have now vacuum sealed them so they should be fine for a month or two until I can brew them

Latest posts

Back