How Long Does a 6.8kg Gas Bottle Last You?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get at least 40 kegs out of one bottle

I always turn the gas off every night or after a session I carbonate at 20kpa for a week and pour at just a little below that pressure.....

works for me

JWB

Thanks

Is that a 6.8 or 2.6 KG tank?

My post was talking about 2.6, thanks

Trustyrusty said:
I am noob to kegging...
I worked out I have got 9 kegs from 2.6 KG
Think I wasted a lot in the beginning, force carb...etc I was under the impression that they would last a shed load more...
A mate who has keg in the fridge......who drinks a shed load said his gas lasted 2 years or so ( I know what he drinks like and thought the tank would last 6 years :) ) I have been there and did not see a 40 litre tank :)
but I reckon from memory he would might have a 6 ltr tank... I can ask... He has Keg in fridge and CO2 outside and says he puts on for 2 days to carb...so no forcing.. I think I should have got the 6L...or go the hire option... use 2.6 has the back up...

I was going to check for a slight leak.. ( I thought it was ok the other day) - Also the keg has toppled over a few times, regulator gauges probably not the best now..

From what I am reading 12 or so is normal for 2.6kg... ?

PS Mate has 10 KG..
force carbing shouldn't use any more than slow carbing, you're still putting the same amount of gas in, just much quicker

hairydog said:
I am getting about a dozen or so kegs out of my 6.8 kg bottle.
I suspect you have a leak then (or carbonate to many times higher pressure than I do). I got about 7 corny kegs carbed + served out of my first 6.8kg fill before realising I had a leaky keg seal. I use a hanging travel scale to check how much is left nowadays and I have about 2.5kg left after almost 20 cornies carbed + served.

@hairy dog...

12 or kegs from 6.8 - you must be losing or using a lot of co2?? You mean 2.6?

I know some has 10 kg, and lasted 2 years or more...? And he does mind a drink either...

JWB said:
I carbonate at 20kpa for a week and pour at just a little below that pressure.....
Do you mean 20 PSI?

Trustyrusty said:
I am noob to kegging...
I worked out I have got 9 kegs from 2.6 KG
Think I wasted a lot in the beginning, force carb...etc I was under the impression that they would last a shed load more...
A mate who has keg in the fridge......who drinks a shed load said his gas lasted 2 years or so ( I know what he drinks like and thought the tank would last 6 years :) ) I have been there and did not see a 40 litre tank :)
but I reckon from memory he would might have a 6 ltr tank... I can ask... He has Keg in fridge and CO2 outside and says he puts on for 2 days to carb...so no forcing.. I think I should have got the 6L...or go the hire option... use 2.6 has the back up...

I was going to check for a slight leak.. ( I thought it was ok the other day) - Also the keg has toppled over a few times, regulator gauges probably not the best now..

From what I am reading 12 or so is normal for 2.6kg... ?

PS Mate has 10 KG..
For a normal 19L keg, at about 4ish degrees, and carbed at about 2.5ish volumes, it'll take about 50g of co2 to force carb it and about 50g of co2 to dispense it. Basically 100g of co2 per keg. Simple maths. In theory you should get 26 kegs if you don't have leaks, don't purge kegs etc etc.

Trustyrusty said:
@trevgale Is that Keg a month, 2 ...more :)
11.3 kegs a month, or 19 stubbies a day if he was using 100g of co2 per keg.

CO2 Gas is cheap and more of a process fluid than just carbonation / dispensing for me.

I purge, I push beer around, I push beer through filters when I feel like it. I flood my grain bin with CO2 for pest control, and I put my chickens to sleep in the wheelybin if one of the girls gets sick.

I always close the main valve and check for equipment leaks every 3-4 months.

I'd say 30 kegs from my 10kg.... Ish.

Heating energy is by far my biggest brewery expense (non-ingredients). So I watch for lpg gas use and have an EDMI power meter on my brewery incommer.

I think new keggers should come close to danstead's estimate.

I got that amount wrong rough guess about 20 corny for a 6.8 kg bottle with a pre purge before filling kegs and a little for cleaning

lines every 6 months .

I lost half a 6.8kg gas bottle to a leak in my manifold last December. I found the leak and fixed it, and when the gas bottle finally ran out I obviously replaced it. That was in January. It's still going strong now. Not sure how many kegs I've had through it, probably about 12-14 beer kegs and maybe 2 or 3 soda water kegs as I've brewed 12 batches this year so far. I also use it for pushing cleaner through the lines and taps, purging kegs and for the soda water on occasion when there's a spare keg spot in the kegerator. I'll be interested to see how long it does last.

Reiterating importance of ensuring you are leak free before checking your consumption. I completely went over my gas system before August last year and put on a fresh bottle in August, it only just ran out last week. So 11-12 months use. I lost count of the kegs that went through the system but I use the bottle to clean my lines out every now and then also.

danestead said:
11.3 kegs a month, or 19 stubbies a day if he was using 100g of co2 per keg.
I go through a keg of soda water per week, a keg of beer every 2-3 weeks and I pressure transfer from fermenter to kegs. So that's 26 kegs of soda and about 10 kegs of beer, with the beer also being transferred with CO2. I do pressure ferment and use this to partially or fully carb so that would save a bit. Anyway I think I am in about the right ballpark.

Latest posts

Back