How Long Do You Leave In 0min Addition?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just brewed a 23 lt batch of beer (I hit all my points, and 78% efficiency, HELL YES!) which has a 0min addition, I will be cooling down through the semi submerging the pot in cool water. How long do/should you leave the 0min addition in the wort for?

Thanks in advance.

I'd leave the hops in there for at least 20 mins while the wort is still moving from heat retained in the base. Then start to chill and remove them, whirlpooling not long after.

Yep, concur with O'Henry, leave it for 15- 20 minutes then drop it into the tub to cool. Do that routinely for TTLs with Styrians for example, but applies to any 0 minute/ flameout addition.

Yep, concur with O'Henry, leave it for 15- 20 minutes then drop it into the tub to cool. Do that routinely for TTLs with Styrians for example, but applies to any 0 minute/ flameout addition.

dont you guys start chilling as soon as you kill the flame ?

whats the benefit of waiting 20 mins to start cooling ?

i have always started cooling as soon as i kill the flame

I wait till convection of the wort has finished (2-15 mins depedning on kettle material and base thickness), then whirlpool and allow it to sit for 10-15 mins, then chill it.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='816948' date='Sep 17 2011, 05:15 PM']I wait till convection of the wort has finished (2-15 mins depedning on kettle material and base thickness), then whirlpool and allow it to sit for 10-15 mins, then chill it.[/quote]

if you chill it arent you gonna start convection again ?

i am constantly recirculating the wort via the pump during the entire chilling process so i suppose thats not relevant in my case

if you chill it arent you gonna start convection again ?

i am constantly recirculating the wort via the pump during the entire chilling process so i suppose thats not relevant in my case

ahhhhhhhh just dawned on me ... you must be using a counterflow chiller right ?

Yes, although you could do it this way with an immersion chiller. Convection will occur again with an immersion chiller but it shouldn't interfere too much with flocculation of proteins, break and trub.

I guess I look at things a bit differently then. I assume that 0 Min hops are additions assumed to be added in or at least like using a hop-back where the hot wort is run over the hops and then immediately chilled. Hence if 0 min hops are added to the kettle you want to try to chill the wort to lock in the volatiles/aromas/flavours as quickly as possible and before they have time to oxidize/dissipate/add bitterness. By keeping 0 min hop additions at close-to-boiling temps for 15-20 mins while the wort settles/whirlpools/recirculates/whatever IMHO that makes them much more like a 15min addition rather than a 0 min addition (but yes I do realize that for some setups and especially immersion chillers, it cant be helped to keep the hops/wort hot for that long).

As usual Wolfy hits it on the noggin. Slightly off topic but one way of getting the "hop back" effect if you haven't got a hopback - and especially if you no chill in a cube - is to use the method introduced by Argon (La mthode Argonoise) B)

After cooling by whatever method, chill the entire volume down to really cold, but run off a couple of litres of wort, bring to the boil in a stockpot, add the last addition of hops to the stockpot, then (depending on whether it's the flame out or 10 min addition or whatever) strain into the rest of the cold wort to bring it to pitching temperature. Fresh as

Alternatively you can strain into a small sanitised container such as a 5l HDPE bucket and crash chill and add to the main wort.

No, the original one :p

La_methode_argonoise.JPG

I guess I look at things a bit differently then. I assume that 0 Min hops are additions assumed to be added in or at least like using a hop-back where the hot wort is run over the hops and then immediately chilled. Hence if 0 min hops are added to the kettle you want to try to chill the wort to lock in the volatiles/aromas/flavours as quickly as possible and before they have time to oxidize/dissipate/add bitterness. By keeping 0 min hop additions at close-to-boiling temps for 15-20 mins while the wort settles/whirlpools/recirculates/whatever IMHO that makes them much more like a 15min addition rather than a 0 min addition (but yes I do realize that for some setups and especially immersion chillers, it cant be helped to keep the hops/wort hot for that long).

yes wolfy, this too has been my understanding of flameout additions, and thats the way i do them, chuck them in, immediately switch off the gas, and then immediately start the water flowing through the immersion chiller

:icon_cheers:

thats how I do it and always thought was the way it was done. When I didnt have a method of chilling fast I would wait 20mins for convection to stop then add 0min leave a little longer so they absorb all the moisture then whirlpool

This is how I do it too.
Flame goes out, toss 0min hops in immediately & turn on my water for the immersion chiller.

With the purchase of a CFC over the last few months i am finding that i have a lot more hop flavour - but a lot less IBU's in my brews. This is mainly due to the old immersion chiller taking its sweet ass time in 60L of wort.

10 minute addition -> turn up heat -> recirculate pump through CFC to start whirlpool / clearn everything -> 0 minute addition -> turn off kettle -> turn on cold counter flow pump -> kettle whirlpool while chilling.

For example:
Two similiar brews recently: Citra Pale Ale and Galaxy Pale Ale - both similiar grain bills, and similiar hop schedules.
Citra i used the method above, ending up with a near overpowering fruitiness and a lower IBU.
Galaxy i used the same method, but the CFC got blocked - 45 minutes later i was finished chilling. Less hop aroma / flavour but alot more IBU's - quite well balanced, leaning more to the bitter side.

I will start adding more 60 minute hops in to counter this and increase IBU's without losing the 0min additions.

Latest posts

Back