How long will kegged beer keep?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yt2

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am going on holidays for 4 months, so if I make a batch now, will it be good when I get home?
How long will it keep it for?
Do I carbonate it or leave it straight from the barrel un-carbonated?
Cheers Yt2...

Carbonate it. Your beer will almost certainly be good in the keg for that long, unless you are making hazies.

I've got a keg of Pilsner that has been lagering for over a year, you will be fine after 4months depending on the style and what level of oxygen exposure it had

Just make sure your sanitising is spot on, and you'll be sweet. Definitely carbonate it.

What slows deterioration;
Temperature, the colder the better (well above freezing); Alcohol, it’s a preservative so more is going to help; Hops, too are a preservative, again, more will help; pH; the lower the harder it is for bacteria to survive (well except for a few that like or make acid).

Among a few other factors like keeping your oxygen pickup to a minimum, and the temperature stable...
Carbonation leads to the formation of carbonic acid and lowers the pH somewhat; there is evidence that higher pressure inhibits some bacteria, so it would help if it was kept cold and fully conditioned before you go on holidays
Mark

Latest posts

Back