How Long Can I Keep Tun Runoff Before Boiling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie Beastie

Reaction score
I am part way through a DrSmurto Golden Ale and I have just finished my sparge.
How long can I leave the mash tun run off before I have to boil?
Do I have to keep the run off at a particular temp? I am currently passing through to achieve clear runnings.
I know aeration of hot wort is forbidden but what about tun run off?

You should avoid aeration and splashing wherever you can.... but its not a big deal, run-off/boil/mash - all the same, avoid it where its sensible to do so, don't worry about it at all if you have to splash a little.

You should boil ASAP after you have collected your wort - there will still probably be some live bacteria in your wort, and as it cools they will start to breed and infect your beer. It'll be fine for an hour or 2 - it might be fine for five or six hours - you might get really lucky and it could be OK overnight.... but the longer you wait, the more risk you take. It all depends on a lot of variables involving the particular bugs in your wort.

You have a bit of time up your sleeve, no need to panic or rush - but the clock is ticking so don't plan to go up the shops unless you really really have to.

TB

Cheers.
I have run it through twice now and it is nice and clean with no apparent grain particles.
I want to drain the tun as much as possible to collect as much of the good stuff as possible.

ALSO, when is it possible to add water to the tun runoff to achieve my desired TOTAL quantity?
Do I do this during the boil, before the boil, or, after the boil.

I have done a few AG's with good outcomes but I seem to be doing this one wrong after 2 failed attempts.

ALSO, when is it possible to add water to the tun runoff to achieve my desired TOTAL quantity?
Do I do this during the boil, before the boil, or, after the boil.

I have done a few AG's with good outcomes but I seem to be doing this one wrong after 2 failed attempts.

which total quantity are you talking about ? pre-boil or post boil ?

If it's pre-boil then add before you start the boil.

If it's post-boil, then you need to know how much evaporation loss you are going to get from boiling. Another way (for post-boil) would be to added cooled, boiled water to get you to the desired volume.

which total quantity are you talking about ? pre-boil or post boil ?

If it's pre-boil then add before you start the boil.

If it's post-boil, then you need to know how much evaporation loss you are going to get from boiling. Another way (for post-boil) would be to added cooled, boiled water to get you to the desired volume.

I want a target of 23 litres POST boil. I will add desired water to achieve this post boil I think.

ALSO AGAIN - Stupid question considering we all hate any chance of infection.....If any infection/bacteria was to set in pre boil, wouldn't any bacteria be killed at 100 degs during boil. Assuming it is too late if this was to happen I would assume the damage has already been been done even if it was killed off during the boil.

Any bacteria pre-boil should be killed during the boil.

As to damage done, that would depend on the amount of time that the runnings from the mash were left to sit. A few hours (say less than 3) would not allow enough time for the bacteria to have much effect. The bacteria, like yeast, require time to get to a sufficient population to start to have a noticeable effect. At least, that's my view on it.

.....If any infection/bacteria was to set in pre boil, wouldn't any bacteria be killed at 100 degs during boil. Assuming it is too late if this was to happen I would assume the damage has already been been done even if it was killed off during the boil.

Correct, but the wort may be tainted with off flavours from the bacteria - souring, just to name one possiblity...

I have "hopefully" made sure that infection was not an issue.
I am on a rolling boil as of 2:30pm, all seems good now, hopefully I am on the road to a winner.

No hot break yet......why?

EDIT: 2:36pm - I take that back.

Whilrfloc added in the last 5 minutes, all looks good now...

Yet to add to cube...

Back