How Is Your March Pump Performing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Has it got enough whoomph ?????

Just does the job for me .

But I am happy with it
Pumpy :)

im happy with mine, thou the mounting plate using only 2 screws is a concern.
it needs longer screws, and/or a third mount point. i have to continually tighten one screw :( i wish the manufacturer would design in some seperate mounting holes, rather than use the motor / pump interface.

cheers

I think mine has four but you need to mount on something solid or it vibrates a bit

Sounds like it may need a nut n bolt redbeard. I wonder if any one has ever got two pumps and mounted them in series (increased pressure) or parallel (increased flow) ? :blink:

I use antishake wahers to avoid them coming undone :)

I dont have mine mounted on anything, I just move it around my "brewery" as it is needed. Its not super powerful, but it moves my strike water quite quickly, and I always have to slow the output when running to my kettle, and chiller. I dont see why it would need to be any more powerful, to be honest. It would end up wither compacting my grain bed, or giving me too warm a wort to pitch in.
All the best
Trent

I dont have mine mounted on anything, I just move it around my "brewery" as it is needed. Its not super powerful, but it moves my strike water quite quickly, and I always have to slow the output when running to my kettle, and chiller. I dont see why it would need to be any more powerful, to be honest. It would end up wither compacting my grain bed, or giving me too warm a wort to pitch in.
All the best
Trent

good point Trent re compacting the grain bed :)

I've only had one question with my pump that I've never asked anyone. The instructions say never to start the pump with an open deliver/outlet, I used to do this before I properly red the instructions. Never had a drama with doing it. My question is, does anyone else do this or do they follow the instructions and open the delivery after they start the pump ? :blink:

I've only had one question with my pump that I've never asked anyone. The instructions say never to start the pump with an open deliver/outlet, I used to do this before I properly red the instructions. Never had a drama with doing it. My question is, does anyone else do this or do they follow the instructions and open the delivery after they start the pump ? :blink:

Instructions :unsure: what instructions .

Awwwww bugger seems to work anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!

pumpy :huh:

the pump i used before i got my march pump had lots more "oomph" than the march pump. It would empty a 50 liter HLT in a minuite but it also compacted the mash all the time and was a pain in the bottom...... hence why i spent the $260

I have mine mounted by nothing but the copper piped on the in and outlets and it works a treat.

i wish i had bought one in the first place.

I will agree with the mounting thing though.

A decent mounting plate wouldnt cost bugger all to put on but would make it a lot more user friendly

cheers

I got my march pump when we had the AHB bulk buy and opted to get the bracket aswell, no probs with it what so ever works a charm nice and quiet no excessive vibrations.
Pumpy you know the black plate on your old frame i think you used it as a heat shield for your burner? well i moved that plate down closer to the base of the frame and mounted my pump on it. Worked out well.

pump.jpg

I got my march pump when we had the AHB bulk buy and opted to get the bracket aswell, no probs with it what so ever works a charm nice and quiet no excessive vibrations.
Pumpy you know the black plate on your old frame i think you used it as a heat shield for your burner? well i moved that plate down closer to the base of the frame and mounted my pump on it. Worked out well.

View attachment 8868

I think I hung the filter off it, I have another one of those i will hang my pump of that may be a bit thicker metal thanks Hopsta :)

Very interesting guys. Just wondering where can I get one? I am sick of lifting water into my mash tun.

STEVE

I've been very happy with the performance of my march pump. I had a few little issues at the begining with priming it but have since ironed out all these issues.

You can get one from Process Pumps in Melbourne Steve. There are some threads on it on here somewhere. I'd call them directly instead of trying to rely on PMing SpecialK as it seems some others seem to do.

Anyway, on the mounting plate issue. I built a very simple one that just needed 5 holes drilled in a piece of steel sheet. The centre hole s the biggest at around 20mm (I drilled the biggest hole I could then just used a round file to enlarge to the required size) and drilled the four hole round the outside for the pump head bolts. Very easy and plenty sturdy enough. Here's a pic:

March_close_up__small_.jpg

Very interesting guys. Just wondering where can I get one? I am sick of lifting water into my mash tun.

STEVE

Karl Koce

Technical Sales.

Process Pumps (Aust.) Pty. Ltd.

Phone: +61 3 9762 9222

Fax: +61 3 9762 9233

Web: www.processpumps.com.au

Karl is the man to speak to I recently bought three off him, great service and price, let him know you are from AHB and he will look after you.

Thanks mate, dump the PM.

I am getting this pump primarily to pump from the HLT to the mash tun and to sparge. Just wondering does anyone pump from the mash tun to the boiler or from the boiler to the fermenter? I was just going to use the ol gravity from the tun to the boiler and the boiler to the fermenter as I have heard some stories about "Shear forces" can anyone enlighten me on this topic.
But I think that it would be a big ask (and a lot of ball valves) to use one pump to do the lot.

STEPHEN

Back