How Is Your March Pump Performing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am asking a lot of dumb questions for an experienced AG boy but, how, with one pump do u run off and sparge at thew same time?

Sorry SJW, I didn'y fully explain myself. I have a two tier setup, the HLT sits above the MLT and kettle. Therefore I gravity feed the sparge water to the MLT and pump to the kettle at the same time. :D

Jeez you must have had a few beers on sunday! haha

As i was telling you then I use my pump to move everything except to the fermenter. Which i could do but don't see the point in my setup.

I batch sparge so i don't need to do them both at the same time. If you were to fly sparge i don't think its possible with 1 pump?

As for ball valves i use 4 to change directions. All works fine for me.

Cheers

Steve, have a look at all the breweries posted on both this site and all the american sites as well

eg. Brewboard: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showforum=2

Brews and Views in the gallery section: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Plenty on Barleys too: http://www.brewzilla.nl/?brewhalla (check out the top one: Yikes-very nice).

Walk yourself through a brew on their system by looking at the pics and you'll answer most of your questions yourself. It really is pretty simple stuff, they only move liquid. Think about your need and what you need to do with it.

Cheers, Justin

I use one to pump from hlt into mash, recirc on mash, mash to boiler, recirc on boiler through cfwc, then boiler to fermenter

Thanks Boys, I did have a few beers Sunday and few more when I got home, But I was looking at Pumpys set up in the gallery and following his flow diagram wondered how with one pump could u "FLY" sparge and run off at the same time. After using gravity for so long its hard to get my head around pumping to the boiler. I guess the short answer is 2 tier and use gravity one one stage (either Tun to boiler or HLT to MashTun) Otherwise a single tier design would require batch sparging.

ps. n00ch. I owe u first shout at the next show!

In my opinion use the pump to move from mash tun to kettle. That way you can keep your mash tun nice and low where you can easily mash in, stir and check temps-it's the only vessel that you really do much hands on stuff with so make it easy to use. You can also see the water level on top of the bed easily when fly sparging if your vessel is low (if that's how your going to do it).

Put the HLT above the mash tun if your going to gravity feed somewhere on your system as you don't really need to look into that vessel, fill it in place with a hose from the ground, reach over and give it a stir every now and then but put your pump to good use in making your brewery easy and ergonomic.

Cheers mate. Justin

I use mine to 'sterilise' the CFWC by circing the HLT liquor through it for 20mins so if you have a CFWC you may want to consider this.

I use mine to 'sterilise' the CFWC by circing the HLT liquor through it for 20mins so if you have a CFWC you may want to consider this.

So do i, works great, I think you mean sanitise though

I agree with Justin. I was looking at the different ways of having it when i was deigning my stand and if i was to fly sparge i was going to have 2 tier with HLT above the other 2. As he has said easy to see into and can use it for your sparge water without the need to pump.

Latest posts

Back