How High Do I Need To Boil The Water ....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavoj

Reaction score
In order to get what I want in temperature for your strike water , mash out and sparge desired temperature

I have read that water for grain in the mash should be -12.2c ( 10 f ) in order for it to get the desired temperature ...

but I have a lot of issued to get the temperature i want in strike, mash out and sparge water.

so how mush should i up it in the boil to get what i desired when it hit the other water temp on mash;

for example if i had 68.3c (155f) how much should i boil above the desired temperature if i want it to be raised to 76.6c(170 f ) when it hit the other water temp

hope you understand guy and ty in advance

It depends in initial volumes and how much water you want to add.

There is a couple of calculators here:
Brewhead Calculators
under the Temperature & Volume heading.

or google "home brewing water temperature addition calculator"

I dont really understand.

Is it at 68.3 and you want to raise it to 76.6? It depends how much volume thew mash is already as to how much water you would need to add at a certain temp to increase it.

You could remove part of the mash and boil it, decoction style, and this would raise it to the temp. When doing this, get as much grain in the decotion boil as you can, as the enzymes will be in the liquor and boiling them will denature, so you want them left in the mash. Obviously you need some liquor in the decotion boil, but you want it to me very thick.

For example: I was brewing a farmhouse ale, aiming for 65.5C in the mash, hit 63C with a volume 16l. I removed a very thick 1.85l and boiled it to achieve 65.5C.

I cannot find my calculations book, but will have another look later when I have more time. It has been missing for ages now...

Edit: Too slow...

In order to get what I want in temperature for your strike water , mash out and sparge desired temperature

I have read that water for grain in the mash should be -12.2c ( 10 f ) in order for it to get the desired temperature ...

but I have a lot of issued to get the temperature i want in strike, mash out and sparge water.

so how mush should i up it in the boil to get what i desired when it hit the other water temp on mash;

for example if i had 68.3c (155f) how much should i boil above the desired temperature if i want it to be raised to 76.6c(170 f ) when it hit the other water temp

hope you understand guy and ty in advance
Everyone equipment will be different....however
On my equipment , to get a 65c mash temperature , my strike water need to be 75 c...before i add the grain
This allows for the fact that the grain will cool the water , somewhat....
I don't do a mash out ( are your grains well modified ?) as i cannot be bothered and with well modified grains , its not necessarily needed...
My sparge water is around 77c although sometimes its 80c...
As for how long you need to boil things to get your temperatures ,everyones equipment is different and they all use different ways of heating ( gas/electricity) .
Do you have access to a thermometer ? This may help you hit your temps too.
Can you give us an example of your equipment ??
Cheers
Ferg

There are a lot of calculators out there.

Complete brew tools are Beermate, Promash, Beersmith etc, then there are more simple calculators. Get on and it is pretty simple.

QldKev

In spite of all the calculators out there, the real answer to your question will come from your own experience with your system.

You need to keep detailed notes of volumes, weights, and temperatures.
Then you will be able to set up an appropriate profile in your brewing program which is accurate for your system.

In my case, I aim for about 8C HLT temperature above my desired mash temperature, but that may not be right for your system!

6.350 kg is usually the grain weight

i use gas for boil and my mash tun is a cooler
ty for the reply

Another way is to just stir in boiling water 1/2 Litre at a time, until the grain temp is where you want it.
If the grain temp goes slightly above the 76 it wont matter.

Thats how I used to do it, it is much simpler. But now I do BIAB which is even simpler again.

Another way is to just stir in boiling water 1/2 Litre at a time, until the grain temp is where you want it.
If the grain temp goes slightly above the 76 it wont matter.

You talking about strike or sparge water????

Latest posts

Back