How Good Are Bop's?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fortheloveofbeer

Reaction score
I know a few of you guys aren't entirely happy with the whole BOP thing on the Sunshine Coast. I have read a few posts, and have agreed with a lot of the points. I am hopeless making my own brews, no time, too busy, too lazy (??).

I went to that place at Kawana a couple of times (ubrewit) and both times that woman there was rude to me and my beer tasted and smelt ... wrong and I was short 12 beers both times. It tasted OK after a couple but I had to struggle through it. I have now been to the new one at Maroochydore (Bru 4 U) and am much happier with the results. The lady there was cheery and very helpful, even gave me a hand to bottle! I might not be an expert but this beer had no smell and tasted great. Got a couple of bottles over my allotted 6 cartons too!

I'm not much good at home brewing but love my beer. The whole Bru 4 U thing works really well for me so I'll keep doing it.

I love BOP - of course its my premise and I end up with as much as I need!! I am very helpful, cheery and polite....

:p

BOP is a franchise. Pay your money and you can own one too. The business model is no different from McDonalds, KFC,
Bob Jane or Angus & Robertson.

We have recently 'acquired' a BOP in our area and of course I had to go and have a look.

Nice bling. I bought a cheap, overpriced regulator from them because I was desperate on the day but that's another story......

Their recipes are generally fairly good. Except that some of them have Munich & wheat malts as steeping malts. I started to
work myself up to a stage of telling the boss that these malts had to be mashed etc, etc, but thought....nah, not my problem.

For less money and only a little bit of extra effort, any BOP wannabee can drink better beer than these guys provide.

Cheers,
smudge`

That seems to be the general attitude- besides, there's something great about brewing at home.

I might not be an expert but this beer had no smell and tasted great... I'm not much good at home brewing but love my beer. The whole Bru 4 U thing works really well for me so I'll keep doing it.
No smell huh? Maybe some aroma hops next time? My beers smell great AND taste good...

Am I the first to suspect "fortheloveofbeer" is actually marketing/PR for "Bru4U"?

Look I'd love to see a post from him/her in a few months saying "well, I mashed my marris otter at 65 C, but then on the saccharification step I ....." but for some strange reason I doubt it... <_<

I am very helpful, cheery and polite....

No, you're a gobshite, not very helpful, and a terrible stalker....stalking is for life. Not just on the odd occasion, Kathy. :lol:

what the hell are you on about now,butters?
were you pissed again? :lol:
And what`s with the sig?

stagga.

Yes, but only because you were up later than me.
Dodgy as a 12 dollar bill.
Yes, well obviously his cunning plan to convert you all to BOP has failed and may have been misguided from the outset if indeed that was the OPs intent.

... I might not be an expert but this beer had no smell and tasted great.. ...

hahaha which recipe did you do? the carlton extra dry clone? asahi clone perhaps? or maybe the corona?

nice try at marketing, i dont know why a persons first post on a homebrew website would be to extol the virtues of a place that most of us thinks make pretty ordinary beers.

if you are the boss there, just set up the web at the bop and have your staff spend their spare time on AHB. might actually get an idea about beer (which would be a first for any BOP i have been to..) :)

Remember, to swill-drinkers, tasting like nothing when it's freezing cold is a good tasting beer. So it probably smelled and tasted like nothing, which is somewhat of an achievement?

I read this last night and didn't say anything, but it does sound like a plug.

what the hell are you on about now,butters?
were you pissed again? :lol:
And what`s with the sig?

stagga.

The sig is quite understandable to any pom, although many Australians are unaware of what a stick of rock is. however one wonders who the PhD might be. :blink:

a bit cynical arent we?? <_<

hey, if you find a BOP you are happy with, great. i cant imagine they would be an easy business to keep profitable. and as others have said, for less money and a bit more effort and time (and i know about not having much time) you can make better beer at home of any style and as much as you want.
if you stick with the BOP - good luck.
if you move on to brewing at home - good luck as well. but you can always count on someone for helpful advice in these forums. something that may be lacking with the BOP method.
joe

a bit cynical arent we?? <_<

hey, if you find a BOP you are happy with, great. i cant imagine they would be an easy business to keep profitable. and as others have said, for less money and a bit more effort and time (and i know about not having much time) you can make better beer at home of any style and as much as you want.
if you stick with the BOP - good luck.
if you move on to brewing at home - good luck as well. but you can always count on someone for helpful advice in these forums. something that may be lacking with the BOP method.
joe

gee guys, sorry for sharing. I have read stuff on here about BOP's so thought I'd try them. I'm happy with the beer and will stick it. As for the rest of you cynics...get a life.

gee guys, sorry for sharing. I have read stuff on here about BOP's so thought I'd try them. I'm happy with the beer and will stick it. As for the rest of you cynics...get a life.
Awww, look if you were really just hyped about the whole thing and wanted to share, don't be sorry. Maybe we are too cynical. :p (But if you ARE marketing... ooohhh :angry: )

Question though, by my calculations you've just made 18 cases of beer, 12 of which you had to struggle through... Would you ever consider just brewing at home? It's not that expensive or difficult - a basic kit + kilo beer is pretty easy and can still give great results. PLUS, you only make two cases (and a bit) at a time, so if you stuff up one, it's not the end of the world. From what I read, you're doing most of the work anyway so why not just buy a fermenter and join the BOOP crowd. (Brew On OWN premises). With AHB to hold your hand, it won't be so scary. :D

PS: Your beer should smell GOOD, not just of nothing.

Back