How Does Using A Brita Water Filter Change Your Water Profile?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
Just got one from an op shop for a few bucks. I was thinking of using it for making beer, to remove the chlorine. Would I be removing all the minerals, or just some? Not that I do water profiling just yet, but it'd be good to know.

Being a carbon filter it will remove chlorine and other nasties such as dead toad essence but according to Wikipedia:

This carbon is generally activated with a positive charge and is designed to attract negatively charged water contaminants. Carbon filtering is commonly used for water purification, but is also used in air purifiers.

Carbon filters are most effective at removing chlorine, sediment, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from water. They are not effective at removing minerals, salts, and dissolved inorganic compounds.

However it would definitely improve the water taste if you are in an area where the local supply tastes a bit 'manky'.

From their website...

Removes chlorine and impurities. Leaves in fluoride and essential minerals. The Australian Dental Association approves the use of BRITA water filters, in so far as they do not remove fluoride

More:

Pre-Filtration: the water flows through a fine mesh filter - simply fill from the tap.
Ion Exchange Filtration - the ion exchange resin reduces the heavy metals, including lead and copper, as well as the carbonate hardness that causes limescale build-up in kettles and affects the taste and aroma of tea or coffee.
Activated Carbon Filtration - the granulated activated carbon significantly reduces substances that affect the taste and odour of your tap water, such as chlorine, certain pesticides and organic impurities.
Final Filtration - fine mesh particle filter.

I usually filter/ boil my water for yeast farming and starsan making.

I did it once for a AG batch , never been bothered again, i am using rainwater though, if i was on town/tap water, i prob would be bothered
i reckon it can only improve your beer, go for it!

Brew with both filterd and unfiltered Adelaide tap water, found filtered water better to work with. have found it removes the stench chlorine and reduces the salt harshness making a more platable water for both light and dark coloured beers.

Wicked!

Thanks for all that info guys. Especially the first hand experience. I will be purifying for my beers now.

As an added bonus when I use brita water with starsan in a spray bottle it never goes cloudy, however if I use my tap water it goes cloudy the same day.

i use to use the brita for my fishtank water, it lowered the hardness and also reduced the ph.
i use an undersink dual cartridge filter for brewing but it doesnt lower the ph like the brita.
maybe its the ion exchange thingy that does that? i use to replace cartridge when the water
coming out started reading ph of 7.0, where it was no longer working that well(ie. tasting).

Just got one from an op shop for a few bucks. I was thinking of using it for making beer, to remove the chlorine. Would I be removing all the minerals, or just some? Not that I do water profiling just yet, but it'd be good to know.

I always filter my bore water since AndrewQld said my beer was crap, no, he didn't say that actually but i know what he meant :icon_cheers:

here's a quick water filter i knocked up, el cheapo filter

imo it improved my beers

cheers

Latest posts

Back