How do you wash your BIAB bag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manson81

Reaction score
Mine is about 11 Brews old I think and the last few Brews it's been getting hard to get all the old grain out.

Generally I hose it off to get the bulk of the crap off after I empty it then soak it in a bucket of Disan for a week or whatever.

But there's a few little bits here and there I just can't seem to get off lately.

Sure, the next batch gets boiled to kill off any filth, but I'd still like to get the bag spick and span again!

Anyone chuck theirs in the washing machine?

I used to run mine through the washing machine every once in a while when I did BIAB.
I had swiss voille.
What is yours made from?

If you have a hoist, it might pay you to ditch the bag and just make a big circle of Swiss Voile for about fifteen bux, hem it around or get some Janome savvy person to do it for you.

Then learn how to do a hangmans noose.

Emptying and cleaning couldn't be simpler: take the bag to the compost heap or garden bed. Grab one side, lift, dump grain, flick and shake then rinse under tap and napisan it etc.

No creases or places for grain to hide and no seams to weaken.

brewday hoist.jpg

Mines just a 10 dollar job from brewers choice. Most of the crap does come out easily enough it's just some little particles that stick in there. Seems to be a few that have gotten up into the hem somehow!

Don't have a hoist yet bribie, that's next on my build list. Pain in the arse trying to hold it above the kettle with one hand and squeeze it with the other!

If you have a couple of spare fridge shelves around you can get a $8 laundry bowl from IGA and do the Bribie Pressinator ®

:)

wortpress5Large.jpg

Edit: that's the kit I take with me if the brewery is doing a trip away for a demo somewhere.

What a great idea! Yes, I will be doing that next brew!

I rinse the bag in the sink to wash out the grain etc

Every now and again, I soak the bag in PBW, comes out nice and white.

Soak mine in some sodium perc.leave till i do the rest of the cleanup,hang on the line.occasionally in the washer also

Empty.

Turn inside out and hose out/off ALL grain.

Then, Either soak in Perc or run through washing machine with perc.

manson81 said:
But there's a few little bits here and there I just can't seem to get off lately.
You need to get it off wet, as in straight after use IMO.

I did about 40 brews in mine and it is still spotless.

Cheers

I always let it air dry after it's rinse, turned inside out. Once dry, a good shake removes a lot of spent grain. Seems are a bit of a PITA, but the odd washing machine visit every now and then, followed by a good rinse, sort that out.

I also give mine a soak in Napisan and boiling water. And then tune thoroughly. Whitens the bag up considerably.

I normally hose mine off and then stick it through the 15 minute cycle in the washing machine, seems to do the trick and I don't care if it isn't pearly white.

I've been chucking mine in the washing machine with whatever else is in the wash basket, I have lost the drawstring through doing this but still works fine and smells of pine and alpine meadows etc.. and no red socks or anything so it's still white which is a relief.

Whatever grain fragments remain won't threaten sanitation, since it's all pre-boil. It's possible that buildups of organic stains and fragments could ferment and produce small amounts of off flavours, but not if you keep them from being moist for long. i work on a dry day, wash with Napisan or straight sodium percarbonate, dry on the line, turn the bag inside out and pick or blow out any clinging grain fragments.

If the bag gets so funky looking you worry your beer will taste underwear-filtered, change the bag.

Latest posts

Back