How Do You Store Your Primed Bottles At 20c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moultan

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers,

Just a quick section on storing your bottles in the secondary ferment stage at 20c. I currently have them loaded into some milk creates in my garage but its only around 15c . How do you guys achieve this ?? thats keeping the baby's warm enough to gas up.

I have a heat pad but thats only strong enough to hold a micro fermenter.. electric blanket,,.. ewww expensive !!

thanks..

MATT

15 deg is fine, don't heat them up. Chill and crack one after 3 weeks to test.

The other thing is make sure they are kept out of sunlight.

cool thank Maxt, just trying to get it right after last times bomb blast .. lol

If the temp does start to fall any more you could bang then in a cupboard with the heatpad but don't put the bottles directly on it - just let the pad raise the temp in the cupboard rather than heat the beer directly. If you directly heat the yeast in the bottom of the bottles you could produce some off-flavours. Mmmm...iBeer 2.0

As Maxt says, 15 deg will still work - just might be a little bit slower but if youve read much around the board I'm sure you've worked out that slow and steady wins the race already.

[EDIT: typography]

Hey fellow brewers,

Just a quick section on storing your bottles in the secondary ferment stage at 20c. I currently have them loaded into some milk creates in my garage but its only around 15c . How do you guys achieve this ?? thats keeping the baby's warm enough to gas up.

I have a heat pad but thats only strong enough to hold a micro fermenter.. electric blanket,,.. ewww expensive !!

thanks..

MATT

Hi Matt,
TIME......in a forget me cupboard........>> makes good bottle conditioned beer. Bottle conditioning is a craft itself i.e bottling at the right final gravity, the amount of priming, bulk , single etc etc, sooo many methods.
I knock my beer out for 10 days at about 2deg, depending if it was a belgian where there maybe 2-3 points to go, i half prime it i.e treat a tallie as a stubbie for instance. I loosen a cap off a bottle about 6 weeks later and listen n look.
A totally finished IPA,APA fully prime and drink from 4 weeks on.
Dont do your head in about temp whilst in the bottle,,.. TIME

vegimite thing? never tasted it in beer before. Beer loves yeast!

I bottle condition & I use liquid yeast, condition inside which is around 20c. English bitters in 2 weeks are ok but find 1 month is best for me.

Once primed after 4 weeks would keeping youre bottles in the fridge at drinking temp drop out the yeast & help clarity if chill haze wasnt an issue.

I tend to cool my beers in the fridge that day before drinking them that night just wondering if I should have them chilled for longer. :icon_offtopic: sorry if Im of topic here

I used a heated cupboard I built to control winter ferment temps when I first started brewing.

Works a treat.

gallery_7556_294_25722.jpg

Style master Finners looks grouse

Sorry read post too quick.

I use this cupboard to prime and once primed it's either in the fridge so they are ready to rock or in a converted foam lined pantry (room for 300 largies).

I just keep the milk crates inside the house (laundry) where it's usually >20C. I did have a problem in winter with bottles taking up to 3 - 4 weeks to carb up, so I moved them into the hallway closer to the heater and that seemed to solve it.

But it's nearly November now! where are you located moultan, Tasmania? Snowy Mountains? Antarctica? :p

Finners,

i have to say that looks ( your brewing box ) brilliant !!!!!!!!

hi Matt,

i too am new to brewing and i keep my brew in milk crates and keep them in the laundry.

Ernie

15 would be ok. I don't get many bottles, as I only bottle what is in excess of my keg, but I store the bottles in the fermenting fridge, so they get 18c to mature under.

QldKev

i bought an old fridge for $20 bucks, put my pad heater on the bottom and beers around and above it for a week to 10 days, then in milk crate in garage for another week-10 days, then into em..works for me and im in Tassie.
:beerbang:

I have my fermenting fridge hooked up to an ebay temperature controller ($40) that has both heating and cooling circuits. The fridge goes into the cooling side and a lamp sits in the fridge with a 40W bulb in a terracotta pot hooked up to the heating side. If the ambient temp is a bit low I'll pop a batch of bottles into the fridge/hot-box for a few days at 18-21C depending on what else is fermenting...obviously not when I've got a lager down.

Nice setup Barley_Belly!

I have my fermenting fridge hooked up to an ebay temperature controller ($40) that has both heating and cooling circuits. The fridge goes into the cooling side and a lamp sits in the fridge with a 40W bulb in a terracotta pot hooked up to the heating side. If the ambient temp is a bit low I'll pop a batch of bottles into the fridge/hot-box for a few days at 18-21C depending on what else is fermenting...obviously not when I've got a lager down.

Nice setup Barley_Belly!

After bottling I site the bottles on some towels in a corner of my house and have an electric blanket over the top with more towels over that. The blanket is on a standard timer to heat for an hour and then switch off for an hour.

This seems to get the temperature to around 20 degrees.
I'm not sure that its perfect though because we get an inconsistent amount of carbonation which I haven't discover the cause of yet.

Inconsistent between batches or inconsistent between bottles of the same batch? And by inconsistent do you mean some gushers and some good ones or some flat ones and some good ones? Or both? The answer to these questions might help people give you an idea what you might need to look at to sort it out.

Used to keep my bottles in the garage in wine cartons, needless to say as soon as summer rolled around they would all start tasting pretty nasty pretty quick. Now I keep them on a lower shelf in a thick shelfed cupboard in the middle of the house (its not attached to any of the wall at the edge of the house) it gets quite cold this time of year (easily around 15c), but my last batch was carbed and very drinkable in less that 3 weeks, and is still tasting fresh a couple of months down the track.

as above with the addtion of a blanket over the bottom shelf to insulate the bottom crates which are the newest bottled. Works a treat.
I had to battle SWMBO to get the space though... and build a tool shed... got me effing cupboard for me beer though :p

DSC00937.JPG

as above with the addtion of a blanket over the bottom shelf to insulate the bottom crates which are the newest bottled. Works a treat.
I had to battle SWMBO to get the space though... and build a tool shed... got me effing cupboard for me beer though :p

Kudos, I only got one shelf, and only after a lot of rearranging of linnen...

Back