Storing full bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nullnvoid

Reaction score
They say the only stupid question is the question that isn't asked. I may change that with my question. However it's puzzled me since I started brewing a couple of months ago and Dr Google can't seem to answer it. And plus, we are all friends here aren't we? Aren't we? Anyway....

Do you have to store your full bottles anywhere special? Currently I'm storing them all in the chest freezer with the fermenter, but as I am brewing more and more, I want to put them somewhere else. I have another large esky I can put them in, but is this overkill and I can only store so many bottles. Is just a milk crate in the garage good enough at a consistent temperature?

I know they say that after bottling you have to maintain the same fermenter temperature for approx 10 days.

Maybe I just need to drink harder but trying to get a good supply going so I don't run out :)

(Can't wait for the case swap, I feel I may learn a whole heap)

Cheers!

If you make sure that fermentation is finished before bottling then it's quite ok to store your bottles in a cool, dark place.

I know they say that after bottling you have to maintain the same fermenter temperature for approx 10 days.
Milk crate at room temp in a cupboard or similar is fine in the majority of cases.

bottle Storage.JPG

Just avoid storage at elevated temps...dos not do your brews any good.

As TP says, cool and dark

Storing them out of direct sunlight it a good idea because the bottles aren't a 100% UV barrier and you don't want skunked beer. Once they're carbonated colder is better, but as long as it's not stupidly hot it's fine. So a dark corner of your garage will be perfect. Mine are in boxes on shelves in my kitchen.

EDIT: BTW TidalPete, that's a sweet shelving system you have there. It looks much nicer than my unpainted, unvarnished, unstained pine Ikea shelves with cardboard boxes.

Actually a pretty good question. If you are concerned about your bottles priming/ conditioning a few degrees higher than ferment temp - do not be!

Someone much smarter than I said to think about it like this; for a standard 4-5% ABV, the bottle priming fermentation is only about 10% of that and thus a warmer ferment of that last 0.5% in the bottle would only have a minimal contribution to taste.

Most of my ales were fermented between 17-18C but bottle conditioned at 22-24C with out any ill effects. I would avoid high temps or a lot of fluctuation though

Thanks everyone, it's pretty cold and dark in the garage anyway so that might be the way to go! Just need to find some space in the garage, or one that isn't falling down, but that's another story :)

Tidal Pete - that's a very impressive cupboard you have got going on there!

If you have the space in the garage is fine. I do all my brewing there and it keeps a nice 20c. I keep my bottles in boxes and milk crates, but watch out for sun. I moved the garage around and let the sun come in through a window that beamed straight to a case I had left on floor. I reckon every arvo they got nuked, taste skunky. I find once they are carbed, I toss a bunch in the fridge like you would with commercial beer, if I remember too, I like leaving them in there for a few days before drinking.

Yeah at the moment in Melbourne it's certainly not reaching anywhere near 20 degrees especially in the hills. It's remains quite consistant so that's good. Also really dark in there so that will be good too.

Thanks everyone.

Back