How Do You Stop Dumplings Collapsing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've got a beef casserole on the go but it's turned out a bit thin (too much addition of beef stock) so I'm thinking of adding few dumplings, which always makes it a bit more substantial.
However I have a problem with collapsing dumplings. My method is:

Scone type mixture, half butter to SR flour (plus a touch more baking powder) rubbed in then milk and a gentle knead like you do with scones, shape into balls then roll in flour then into the pot for about 20 mins till they swell up and float. The problem is that by the time they are served they mysteriously shrink into little rubbery balls of dough - wrong recipe, wrong technique?

Any dumpling experts out there?

I've got a beef casserole on the go but it's turned out a bit thin (too much addition of beef stock) so I'm thinking of adding few dumplings, which always makes it a bit more substantial.
However I have a problem with collapsing dumplings. My method is:

Scone type mixture, half butter to SR flour (plus a touch more baking powder) rubbed in then milk and a gentle knead like you do with scones, shape into balls then roll in flour then into the pot for about 20 mins till they swell up and float. The problem is that by the time they are served they mysteriously shrink into little rubbery balls of dough - wrong recipe, wrong technique?

Any dumpling experts out there?

Skip the dumplings and simply thicken the sauce/stew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beurre_mani%C3%A9

simple ;)

I think the kneading is where you might be going wrong. Can't recall the quantities I use but it has flour, butter, milk and grated cheese. Mix the butter and flour until like breadcrumbs then add milk and grated cheese and mix with a spoon. The recipe I use would be impossible to knead as it comes up very sticky. I use two spoons to add the mixture to the top of the stew, one to scoop and the other to scrape the sticky mix off.

Hope this helps

Edit: should have said these float from the beginning and don't collapse.

Your not doing it right Bribie,

100g plain flour
100g corn flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
sift and mix together in a a bowl

in a separate jug mix together
2 egg yolks
110ml milk
4 tbs oil
then and add to the flour mixture
gently stir with a fork until just combined

Drop tablespoon full at a time of the dumpling mixture onto the surface of the stew, cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes

You can add grated Parmesan cheese or a teaspoon of curry powder to the dry mix before adding the wet ingredients for a nice change.

This recipe makes a LOT of dumplings, I'd halve it if I were you.

Andrew

Thanks guys, I'll try Andrew's recipe, and also follow Readers Digest site's suggestion not to peek for at least 10 minutes or the dumplings will collapse due to influx of cold air :icon_cheers:

Your not doing it right Bribie,

100g plain flour
100g corn flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
sift and mix together in a a bowl

in a separate jug mix together
2 egg yolks
110ml milk
4 tbs oil
then and add to the flour mixture
gently stir with a fork until just combined

Drop tablespoon full at a time of the dumpling mixture onto the surface of the stew, cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes

You can add grated Parmesan cheese or a teaspoon of curry powder to the dry mix before adding the wet ingredients for a nice change.

This recipe makes a LOT of dumplings, I'd halve it if I were you.

Andrew

That recipe rings a bell, Andrew.
Rabbit stew and dumplings brings back childhood memories (good ones I assure you).

That recipe rings a bell, Andrew.
Rabbit stew and dumplings brings back childhood memories (good ones I assure you).

It's pretty foolproof winkle, from a recipe book I have "Soups and Stews", one of my favorite books. I loooove stews and dumplings, rabbit stew sounds great by the way.

Dumplings were sensational, I'm going to be the size of a brick dunny when we ever get to meet up, Andrew - I'll be the guy who completely darkens the doorway :blink:

:lol:

Dumplings were sensational, I'm going to be the size of a brick dunny when we ever get to meet up, Andrew - I'll be the guy who completely darkens the doorway :blink:

:lol:

:lol: I'll keep my eyes open for a solar eclipse Bribie, glad they were a success and you liked them. I usually add Parmesan to mine, gives them a nice bite.

Andrew

Thanks guys, I'll try Andrew's recipe, and also follow Readers Digest site's suggestion not to peek for at least 10 minutes or the dumplings will collapse due to influx of cold air :icon_cheers:

From the man with the camera... where are the photos on the table thread.????

Back