How Do You Mash Your Grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you add your Grist to water or water to Grist?

• Grist to Water

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water to Grist

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've just been throwing some water in then mixing in some grain, then adding more water and grain

Usually in about 3 goes

I stir each lot and haven't had dough balls that a little stirring won't fix

Cheers

wow it's about 50/50 but there's a whole bunch of underletters on here, but not having a HLT :( i can't do that, i'll have to give the grist to water a go on the weekend, perhaps i'll get less cold/hot spots thats way *shakes a fist*

My preferred method is to add a liter or two of warm (not strike temp) water and throughly hand-mix it into the grain to moisten the grain and make it receptive to water. Technically speaking, this breaks down the hydrophobic properties of the flour, which is where doughballs come from. Then I add the water fairly quickly and have very few problems with doughballs. BUT, the drawback of this method is that it can make it a bit harder to hit correct strike temperatures. If you were going to step mash, especially with a RIMS/HERMS, then it is a great way of doing it.

I have never underlet, but I suddenly realize that I could do it with my curent setup, so will give it a go next outing.

Water to Grist, Underletting - not that I ever had doughballs the other way, but my hoses don't go flying around the joint now :)

Tried underletting but I also find it takes far too long for my liking...
Just fill with the required water & pour the grain straight in - the little bit left on top either sinks of its own accord or gentle agitation from the side & it sinks rapidly with no doughballs.

Cheers Ross

Im filling the mash vessel with 40l of water at 40C and start the stirrer.
Now Im adding the 10kg of grain slowly, allow the stirrer to intermingle well.

That works very well.

Underlet, Underlet, Underlet !!!

Its all i do now days.

I have to pump it in the top or the bottom........... I find the bottom method works best.

cheers

Grist to water -

All the dough-in water goes into the MT and gets heated up to the strike temp with the HERMS, then I just pour the grain in slowly and mix it up with my mash paddle. Maybe I'd underlet if I had a big set-up, but stirring up <20litres of mash isn't that much effort.

TB

PS - Unless I BIAB in which case, its emphatically grist to water

wow it's about 50/50 but there's a whole bunch of underletters on here, but not having a HLT :( i can't do that, i'll have to give the grist to water a go on the weekend, perhaps i'll get less cold/hot spots thats way *shakes a fist*
I don't have a HLT either. Just use your fermenter. I heat up my water to a few degrees above the required temp. Then I top up with some cold water until I hit the right temp. Then I transfer to the mash tun.

Simple yet effective.

I've just been throwing some water in then mixing in some grain, then adding more water and grain

Usually in about 3 goes

I stir each lot and haven't had dough balls that a little stirring won't fix

Cheers

Same way I do it,and have been for years now.I can see no benifit in underletting.

Batz

I underlet as I find it easier to hit temps accurately. I'm pumping the mash water straight from the boiler so takes no more time. Dough balls versus big whisk - whisk generaly wins.

Latest posts

Back