How Do I Brew Tooheys New?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1, Ive been having great success without a brewing fridge.....

The temp in Sydney at the moment is fantastic for brewing a clean ale, so get into it before the summer hits.

I don't know if this is super helpful, but if you like New, maybe you could look at brewing a Munich helles that is on the drier side, which will come from swapping some extract for cane sugar or dextrose.

Check out Jamil Zainasheff's recipes here for a good starting point.

As others have mentioned, the key to making a good beer here will be your fermentation, it will also be key to get fresh light extract.

The temp in Sydney at the moment is fantastic for brewing a clean ale, so get into it before the summer hits.

Interesting you should mention a German Beer. I've been playing around with German Pils attempts and in order to get that lingering bitterness, in my latest brew I based the bittering on GER Northern Brewer as well as adding the half kilo of Vienna I had lying around. It's turned out a very interesting beer but I won't be entering this one in the QABC competition that I brewed it for.
The first pint out of the keg after 3 weeks of lagering tastes so much like Tooheys New that I think I'll just go quietly out the back with my Smith and Wesson :unsure:
This is a piccy of some left in a glass from last night:

Tooheys__Small_.jpg

It's turned out with that dry almost bready flavour of Tooheys, despite being all malt, and around the right colour - (to Queenslanders used to XXXX and Carlton, Tooheys always looks a bit brownish). There's too much hop character of course. Yeast was just Saflager S-189

For an extract recipe I'd maybe go 2 kg light dried malt extract, 750g dex, steep perhaps 60g medium Crystal Malt and add 20g of a bittering hop such as Northern Brewer. Use S-189 and ferment a bit warmish, say 14 degrees to give that 'metallic' twang (not joking, I believe they ferment around that temp). Should be in the ballpark.

:icon_cheers:

hear hear. not everyone needs to brew a 100UBU 10% Imperial Porter with belgian chocolate undertones, toasted raisinbread moments and toffee richness that dances gently on the senses. The goal for a new brewer is to just make a beer! What better way to start of than to try creating their favourite. This blokes not making beer for other members to drink so whats the point in jumping up and down about his taste in Tooheys? As I said before, this will change quickly enough once he tries his first gateway micro and begins playing with steeping grains and uhopped malt. Or he could just stick with the kit and sugar method, hundreds of thousands of brewers spend their life doing just that and are happy with the outcome being a homemade beer that they enjoy drinking while saving a few bob. As I sit here today as a very different brewer to Fasty, after bottling a batch earlier, then transferring two cubed batches into barrels and pitching two lots of starter, then getting a mash underway in the sunshine, drinking a previously made fruity amber ale, watching the timer and enjoying the AHB forum with the music pumping and the house all to myself, I realise that today is truly all about the fantastic hobby of beer making, and I enjoy a day like today that came about from early times of dumping a can and sugar into a fermenter and filling with water. This blokes at the first beer stage, and advice is what he needs, and what hes asking. I dont seem to see the question about whether we agree with his taste in beer.

Back to your recipe suggestion mantical, and for the benefit of fasty if he's still reading. where would you suggest the add the 12g POR? Dry hopping would make it too aromatic to be like the real thing and if the can is bittered thats probably close enough.

My interest in new brewers wanting to try doing a lager is whether they have the refrigeration set up to ferment temps then lager temps.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!! I do enjoy the Tooheys New and that is all I am after!!!!! I spend $130 a week on NEW and thats the beer I like to drink!!!! I am NOT a beer drinker with a wine tasters experiance!!! I DON'T want to drink a beer going " oh gee James, this has a nice palete with a hint of bullshit and the after taste of MORE bullshit"!!!!! I just want a nice cold beer after a hard day of turning tools for a living and it only costing me $15 for 2 and a half cartons!!!!! So far I have bottled Tooheys Lager and Brigalobws brand of NEW. I now have in the fermentor a batch of Tooheys Draught and another batch of Lager. I have 1 more week to try the Tooheys Lager and about a month before I try the "Brigalow New".

I hear metho and milk is good.

This got way out of hand!!! I am still at the stage of buying my brew from BigW. I just get the can contents and add a kilo of brewing sugar, mix it in the fermentor and mix it up and add 18 litres of water and wait until it's 27 degrees and add a packet of yeast that comes with the can!!!! I don't have cedar fermentor vats or smoked wood to add, far out man!!! I am a simple man who likes a Tooheys New!!!! Maybe in ten years I might understand what half of you are on about with 10 grams of POR and a dash of this or that!!! At the moment I am just trying to save some $$$$$ NOT make a new type of beer. IF I do that, then maybe I will get a $1,000,000 loan and go into brewing for the masses!!!! Most of you on here seem to think that you brew beer better than the big breweries!!! I DON'T want that. I just want me beer cheap, tasting like a beer I know and love and costing me a third of the price, while getting the enjoyment that I made it myself.

You don't need recipes, fella. The tins you're already doing have instructions made exactly for what you're looking for. Keep the temps as low and stable as you can (within stated tolerances) and you'll get something like you're after. Cheap, plain, watery alcohol.

Don't much like what you have to say BUM!!! I f I could be bothered wrecking another batch, I would video the brew coming out of the airlock if you attatch the bottling thingy to the inside of the airlock!!!

Don't much like what you have to say BUM!!!
Same goes for you but my answer above is what you're looking for. Not that you deserve an answer coming on here telling people that they're dickheads for wanting more than fightjuice.

If you (bum) are what this website stands for, then GOODBYE!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave you honest advice with your needs in mind.

Later, dude.

fasty73 here is a simple, easy and cheap recipe

1 x can tooheys draught
350 grams dextrose
350 grams castor sugar (or standard white sugar)
21 litres total in fermentor

I'm sure you will like the end result

cheers, adam

If you (bum) are what this website stands for, then GOODBYE!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah don't let it worry you dude. You have treat this forum like a pub. There's always one bloke itching to pick a fight, or a grizzled old timer whinging about how things used to be.

Stick with brewing. I suggest picking up "Brewing Crafts" by Mike Rodgers-Wilson. It has heaps of simple recipes in there. If you can do a tea bag, you can do these recipes. I'm pretty sure there's a Tooheys New recipe in there. A mate has my copy so I can't check.

Same goes for you but my answer above is what you're looking for. Not that you deserve an answer coming on here telling people that they're dickheads for wanting more than fightjuice.

When did I call ANYONE a dickhead????

Maybe I LIKE cheap watery alcohol!! I'M sure many other people do too!!!

Just ignore it, mate. There's lots of stuff to pick up here, and plenty of helpful people to offset the negatives.

PLease let us know what you think of your first brew when you get to drink it. Don't expect a Tooheys New though. The important thing is that you enjoy what you produce for your own benefit. And keep in mind that, although you dont know it yet, you'll be adding hops and steeping grains within 6 months :) Its an addictive, rewarding hobby.

All the best.

Maybe I LIKE cheap watery alcohol!! I'M sure many other people do too!!!

I know. Which is why I told you the easiest way to do it within the parameters you've set. But apparently I'm the one looking for an argument?

Thanx for everyones advice, even you bum. What is the lowest temp and the longest fermenting period I need? below 18 degrees it seems to just stop. I have it at a steady 24 degrees with the genius use of an old electric blanket. I have 2 batches going at all times. I am trying about 5 different brands and types. CAN'T wait to try each brand!!!! So some help is still needed. It's ok bum, I have had some beer and chilled out. I understand that you might be a beer fancier with a better taste palete than mine, but that's ok.

Fasty, temp and time depend on the yeast you are using. Most kits come with an ale yeast which is generally easier to use, ferments at a higher temp and gives fruitier flavour than a lager yeast. 24C is a bit high, most would recommend about 18-20C for an ale yeast. Higher temperatures tend to produce unwanted off flavours.

If you like lagers like new you either need to use a lager yeast and ferment it at a lower temperature such as 10C. Going by your set up this might take too long for you as you need 3-4 weeks for fermentation. You could also try a US-05 yeast which is an ale yeast that people use for fake lagers as it produces very little of the fruity ale flavours.

Latest posts

Back