How Do I Brew Tooheys New?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
I have just started my first batch of home brew. I am wanting to know how to get the closest to NEW as I can. Has anyone got any recipes or suggestions?

I have just started my first batch of home brew. I am wanting to know how to get the closest to NEW as I can. Has anyone got any recipes or suggestions?

Grab an empty bottle & unzip your fly. Once the bottle is full, put a crown cap on & seal the bottle. :ph34r:

What kind of brewer are you? If you are a AG brewer searching the recipe Database for an ozzy lager would be a good starting point. If your a kit brewer then the tooheys homebrew kit would probably be a goer (a kit brewer I know brews these almost exclusively, tooheys new is what he drank before he was brewing)

What kind of brewer are you? If you are a AG brewer searching the recipe Database for an ozzy lager would be a good starting point. If your a kit brewer then the tooheys homebrew kit would probably be a goer (a kit brewer I know brews these almost exclusively, tooheys new is what he drank before he was brewing)

All fair points and questions but he made another thread around the same time that others might have seen that suggested he's making a Tooheys Special Lager - his first brew. My opinion is that it takes more than a little experience to be able to turn out one of these, erm, entry level lager kits into something nice without making adding too many non-standard ingredients/processes. It is possible, of course, but not for the n00b following tin instructions, IMO.

I am NOT saying people can't make a beer they enjoy with a standard lager tin and a kilo of whatever.

I was waiting for you to post here, Bum.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=672975

cheers...bottoms up!

Rendo

All fair points and questions but he made another thread around the same time that others might have seen that suggested he's making a Tooheys Special Lager - his first brew. My opinion is that it takes more than a little experience to be able to turn out one of these, erm, entry level lager kits into something nice without making adding too many non-standard ingredients/processes. It is possible, of course, but not for the n00b following tin instructions, IMO.

I am NOT saying people can't make a beer they enjoy with a standard lager tin and a kilo of whatever.

Grab an empty bottle unzip your fly. Once the bottle is full, put a crown cap on seal the bottle

This sort of reply is very predictable in every thread that suggests making Tooheys, Carton, Corona etc. What was YOUR first beer attempt, and was there ever a time in your life that you drank bad beer for years at the pub, or did you go straight to micro brews ? Just as brewing practice makes perfect, the same can be said for developing your taste for better beer. If the guy wants to try and do something like this, and that's the beer he loves, then let him go for it. Only time will ween him away from what we might consider to be boring beers.

Fasty, if you want something close to a New, the few important considerations are temperature control, a clean yeast and very little hops.

Grab an empty bottle & unzip your fly. Once the bottle is full, put a crown cap on & seal the bottle. :ph34r:

What a great (and predictable from some) welcome to a brewer starting out on AHB... Unfortunately it's not a new occurence these days... I'll put my hand up and appologise on behalf of AHB Fasty. Keep brewing and learning.

+1 Silo Ted

Booz

A kit version is suggested here:

Can: Kit Thomas Coopers Heritage Lager
Beer Style: Toohey's New
Ingredients /Adjuncts: 1kg Brew Cellar #11 Booster Blend
Hops: 12g Pride of Ringwood
Yeast: Premium Lager
Details: Temp: 12-18 C
%ABV: 4.6

FROM: http://brewcellar.com.au/content/index.php...cal-beer-styles I have no idea how close this suggested clone is but it's probably a good start. This kind of beer, while not very popular with beer nerds is not easy to brew - you'll need to keep the temp low and be patient. A longer, cool ferment will help chase what you're after. The temp range 12-18 is pretty broad. Aim for 12.

I was given some kit beer a while back that reminded me of New. The brewer told me that it was a kit + 1 kg of table sugar. I cant remember what the kit was - probably a Coopers lager tin.

Anyway, a relatively high proportion of sugar is going to be needed to get something close to New.

that would work out to be about 40% of the total fermentable bill. Is that what the megalager brweries do ? That figure sounds very high. There is almost no malt flavour to them so you might be right. Just a bit blown out calculating those figures you stated.

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='673043' date='Aug 29 2010, 11:18 AM']Unfortunately it's not a new occurence these days... I'll put my hand up and appologise on behalf of AHB Fasty.[/quote]
No need, Boozer. You're right and this is nothing new here - look back through all the old posts, it has happened since day dot. Why? It is a terrible beer. I wonder if OP goes to a classical French cooking board and asks for advice on how to make a Big Mac?

Plus there's thousands of instances where this question has been asked before and helpful answers have been given almost as often as people have been told to piss in a bottle, dilute with water and leave it in the sun a few days - and he's asked this question twice now already.

He asked the question in a thread about another topic but decided to start a new thread specific to the question. Nothing wrong with that.

S/he also took the jibe about piss in a bottle in his/her stride so let's all move on. Anyone got any more recipe suggestions?

S/he also took the jibe about piss in a bottle in his/her stride so let's all move on. Anyone got any more recipe suggestions?

hear hear. not everyone needs to brew a 100UBU 10% Imperial Porter with belgian chocolate undertones, toasted raisinbread moments and toffee richness that dances gently on the senses. The goal for a new brewer is to just make a beer! What better way to start of than to try creating their favourite. This blokes not making beer for other members to drink so whats the point in jumping up and down about his taste in Tooheys? As I said before, this will change quickly enough once he tries his first gateway micro and begins playing with steeping grains and uhopped malt. Or he could just stick with the kit and sugar method, hundreds of thousands of brewers spend their life doing just that and are happy with the outcome being a homemade beer that they enjoy drinking while saving a few bob. As I sit here today as a very different brewer to Fasty, after bottling a batch earlier, then transferring two cubed batches into barrels and pitching two lots of starter, then getting a mash underway in the sunshine, drinking a previously made fruity amber ale, watching the timer and enjoying the AHB forum with the music pumping and the house all to myself, I realise that today is truly all about the fantastic hobby of beer making, and I enjoy a day like today that came about from early times of dumping a can and sugar into a fermenter and filling with water. This blokes at the first beer stage, and advice is what he needs, and what hes asking. I dont seem to see the question about whether we agree with his taste in beer.

Back to your recipe suggestion mantical, and for the benefit of fasty if he's still reading. where would you suggest the add the 12g POR? Dry hopping would make it too aromatic to be like the real thing and if the can is bittered thats probably close enough.

My interest in new brewers wanting to try doing a lager is whether they have the refrigeration set up to ferment temps then lager temps.

Code:
http://www.asquithhomebrewing.com.au/pdfs/Recipes2.pdf

Code:
http://www.thbs.intas.net/beer_recipes.htm

Back to your recipe suggestion mantical, and for the benefit of fasty if he's still reading. where would you suggest the add the 12g POR? Dry hopping would make it too aromatic to be like the real thing and if the can is bittered thats probably close enough.

I'm guessing the PoR addition is one of the brew cellar hop bags. When I first started playing with such things I was just told to steep the bag like making a cup of tea.

While there are much better ways to use hops (and buying pellets is cheaper and usually fresher) I'd say for a first, very basic kit attempt that this steep will impart some of the signature PoR flavour - nothing over the top, just a hint. If I was going to do it myself as a new kit brewer, I'd just make the kit according to instructions, steep the hop bag in hot water or the hot can mix for 10 minutes and add the brew blend. I think fermenting cool with the lager yeast would be instrumental to getting anything vlose to an aussie style lager.

There is no way you would get an exact clone doing this - that linked recipe page even suggests that these recipes are approximations, not replicas. Once the OP tries this simple approach though, they can then start to broaden things and learn some better techniques for hopping etc.

For PoR it's really hard to beat fresh flowers but KISS to start.

I don't know if this is super helpful, but if you like New, maybe you could look at brewing a Munich helles that is on the drier side, which will come from swapping some extract for cane sugar or dextrose.

Check out Jamil Zainasheff's recipes here for a good starting point.

As others have mentioned, the key to making a good beer here will be your fermentation, it will also be key to get fresh light extract.

The temp in Sydney at the moment is fantastic for brewing a clean ale, so get into it before the summer hits.

I don't know if this is super helpful, but if you like New, maybe you could look at brewing a Munich helles that is on the drier side, which will come from swapping some extract for cane sugar or dextrose.

Check out Jamil Zainasheff's recipes here for a good starting point.

As others have mentioned, the key to making a good beer here will be your fermentation, it will also be key to get fresh light extract.

The temp in Sydney at the moment is fantastic for brewing a clean ale, so get into it before the summer hits.

Well said oh bearded one! I'd add to use a good lager yeast along with the fresh extract.

Cheers

Grant

Latest posts

Back