How Big a Mason Jar for Yeast Recycling? (5L batch)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd like to try harvesting, storing and re-using yeast from my next beer batch, and am planning to get a Mason jar to do this. Since I do 5L batches, I was thinking that a 240ml jar would be big enough to store enough yeast. What do you guys reckon?

That should be plenty big enough. Maybe even too bid for a 5lt batch. You could maybe look at some plastic test tubes or something and splitting the harvest. Maybe have a read of the yeast freezing thread to see what people are using there.

Where do you get a 240ml jar Fromelles?

Cheers for the info, I'll check out that thread. I was gonna get the jar(s) from Biome, just nearby my office. They may even have a slightly smaller one I could use.

I have good results using an Erlenmeyer flask and a Reagent bottle.

The flask it a good shape for pouring the yeast off while leaving the trub behind.

I pour off in to a regent bottle where I let the yeast settle out in the fridge.

Both a made of borosilicate so are heat resistant.

I use 800mL mason jars for storing yeast, but I am brewing 21/25 litre batches. I also build yeast starters too big and use this excess for harvesting yeast rather than taking it from the fermenter and rinsing/washing it, so I like to have a reasonable volume in order to harvest a decent amount from each starter.

Thanks for the info guys.

My first experiment was to keep some yeast in 120ml Mason jar, in the fridge, for a week.
I then pitched the yeast into 150ml of unhopped wort (with 1tbsp of DME dissolved in it). I let it ferment for 3/4 days then poured it into a bigger jar which is now in my fridge. The amount of yeast has increased significantly.

The ferment got under way quickly and the smell was good, no sign of infection.

Attached are pics of different stages in the process.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
Back