hottest 100 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had one that impressed me and not really a galaxy fan but I'd be happy to try a pint that was good.

Whereabouts is the pub you mean?

actually the amount of times i get asked for balter at work I'm not surprised its up there.

I voted for the pirate life Pale Ale, the 4 pines Pale Ale, the bridge road little bling and the atomic pale ale from gage roads (as an easy drinker/one of my gateway beers to craft). Glad that pirate life did well - they really deserve it. I actually don't mind the balter XPA and I think one of the thing that puts me off it is the fact that they have done so well on the back of their marketing. If it was a small time brewery that wasn't instantly famous, I would be more impressed.

I'm saying that, I literally went to a bar that turns over a fair few kegs less than an hour ago with my girlfriend and she had a pacific ale on tap - one of the most over-rated beers in Australia. I've had it fresh from the brewery and it is nice (not outstanding), but the stuff we get in general is just rubbish. I've cloned this one a few times for the punters and my simple 60/40 ale/wheat and all late Galaxy hopping leaves this beer in its wake. I just would have assumed that people voting on this competition were really interested in the different more than the mainstream.

If you look at these breweries Facebook/Instagram accounts they have thousands and thousands of followers, all they need to do is a post a couple of "votes for us in gabs hottest 100" and a small craft brewery, no matter how good their product is, has no chance.

Benn said:
When 'macklemore thrift shop' took out number 1 a few years back I came to the realisation that jjj was lost at sea. Good song, but a gimmick nonetheless, definitely not no. 1 material.
.,.we talking beer or music here in this thread mofos? Cause I'm talking music FYI.
Cheers,
what are you saying? :p

also, anyone that picks up a surf mag in this country will have seen many articles about balter and its financial backers... no brainer where those votes come from....

Well I like Midnight Oil & there's nothin that'll change my mind,

timmi9191 said:
When wild yak rates higher than fat yak.
When Korben D cant crack a top 10 and
150 lashes is given 14th...

There is no legitimacy to this!!!
and how did Yenda Pale even rate? (never saw or tasted the stout). Ill never go for the $10 Dan deals again.

timmi9191 said:
When wild yak rates higher than fat yak.
When Korben D cant crack a top 10 and
150 lashes is given 14th...

There is no legitimacy to this!!!
How many people do you think have been lucky enough to try a Korben D FFS? Might have something to do with it.....

manticle said:
Never had one that impressed me and not really a galaxy fan but I'd be happy to try a pint that was good.
Whereabouts is the pub you mean?
The Leveson in north Melbourne. Haven't been back for a few months mind, as the metropolitan is on the walk there and has been serving hawker IPA and various la sirene offerings, so is about as far as we've been for a while

I think they should have voting for only the beers that are the top 3 selling beers for each brewery. Make it selectable by brewery or style.

They should also show the votes counted to see how close the top ten are.

Well done S&W.

Shouldn't it be limited to beers released in 2016? I mean Hop Hog and LCPA are great beers but they are possibly getting a bit long in the tooth now. I remember drinking them back in WA 10 years ago..2 cents worth

Benn said:
When 'macklemore thrift shop' took out number 1 a few years back I came to the realisation that jjj was lost at sea. Good song, but a gimmick nonetheless, definitely not no. 1 material.
.,.we talking beer or music here in this thread mofos? Cause I'm talking music FYI.
Cheers,
The. You probably should have stopped listening in 1992 when Denis Leary won with asshole!

On the beers it is clear that bigger breweries with greater reach are going to get more votes than smaller breweries with less exposure and reach.

If it results in people who think of 150 lashes or fat yak as craft beer trying a few other beers from the list and supporting local breweries then I'd say it's a good thing.

Blind Dog said:
The Leveson in north Melbourne. Haven't been back for a few months mind, as the metropolitan is on the walk there and has been serving hawker IPA and various la sirene offerings, so is about as far as we've been for a while

Yeah metro is decent. If I'm back in Melbourne for work or leisure I'll see if I can check out Leveson.

There should be no surprises that the likes of 150 lashes, and yenda are up there. They have the marketing clout, and, in this list, that is what makes the difference.

If this list was based on actual sales data, then it would actually show something meaningful (Obviously you would have to ignore entries from the mega brewers).

S&W Pacific Ale would probably still be up there though....

The fact that many of us disagree with some of those up there simply shows that we are a minority within a minority!

It's a popularity contest and just like the Sydney to Hobart whoever gets line honours will get the glory but it would be interesting to see the results adjusted in some types of handicap system, perhaps against annual volume produced.

Latest posts

Back