hottest 100 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
earle said:
It's a popularity contest and just like the Sydney to Hobart whoever gets line honours will get the glory but it would be interesting to see the results adjusted in some types of handicap system, perhaps against annual volume produced.
If that was the case then this would probably have won hands down:
81. Rare Breed: Pulped Fiction Blood Orange IPA - Double IPA - Mountain Goat Beer - NEW

They only brewed a keg of this initially but I believe as it went down so well they did another small batch- maybe 200L?
Anyway, was lucky enough to try it a couple of weeks ago and WOW. I've always thought MG were alright but not outstanding. This was an outstanding beer and to get 81 with so little volume it tells me everyone who tried it voted for it.

I tried the Balter and thought it was very average for the price point

maybe I was in a bad bad mood or something and need to try it again

Droopy Brew said:
If anyone needs convincing that the NZ beer scene is more mature than the Australian one (so far as educated palates go) then this is it:

https://craftypint.com/news/1408/The_Hottest_100_Kiwi_Craft_Beers_of_2016_The_Results

2x Double IPAs, a Berlinner Weisse and 2x experimental beers in the top 10.

I managed to track down beers 2 through to 11 while I was in Wellington a couple of weeks ago too- .they can brew
good list

I have actually been having 500ml cans of 3 and 4, Pernicious weed and death form above , on the regular .probably a little to regular at $12 each

both great beers though I would give the edge to the Pernicious weed if I have to choose

I was given the Beer Cartel selection of hottest 100 beers and that's one thing I noted - they're all the same style. All were pale ales, IPAs of varying strength with the exception of 4 Pines Kolsch, MO Amber, Big Shed Golden Stout Time and Feral Karma Citra. I like my hoppy beers as much as the next bloke but it speaks of the culture in the 'craft' beer scene - you got hops? Well I've got more! Only 5.8%? Mine's a 6.2%! It's pale, golden, summer or imperial but at the end of the day it's a hoppy US-style ale that the punters seem to be targeting.
And of the 100 beers there is a total of ONE lager. For the largest volume beer style in the world I'm pretty blown away by that. I'm not sure if it's a vote of protest or Aussies don't know how to make lagers, but for some reason I find it disappointing.

I agree and NZ seems to follow the same pattern just with bigger IPAs and bigger hops. There was more variation though with stouts, porters, a couple of lagers and some sours in there.
I found in my recent visit to NZ that after the first day I had achieved lupulin threshold and all of the beers started to taste the same. Sacrilege!
So I moved onto the sours, saisons and dark beers for a couple of days. I have developed a real taste for sours now, there were some absolute beauties.

Back