Hops Guide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Bear

Reaction score
G'day

I have a question for the brains trust. Is there a site or periodic table that describes the various hop flavours and aromas. I have seached the net but i am unable to loacte anything. Your help would be much appriecated.

Cheers

:beer:

G'day

I have a question for the brains trust. Is there a site or periodic table that describes the various hop flavours and aromas. I have seached the net but i am unable to loacte anything. Your help would be much appriecated.

Cheers

Not that I've come across, but I've got rough and ready guide to what hops work with what style of beer. Can post if you're interested.
I asked a similar question a while ago...I may have posted it then.. I'll have a quick look and see what I can find.

G'day

Cheers

Not that I've come across, but I've got rough and ready guide to what hops work with what style of beer. Can post if you're interested.
I asked a similar question a while ago...I may have posted it then.. I'll have a quick look and see what I can find.

Thanks for that. I'm still learning all this. I was reading Cascade was a fruity hop? What is Halletau, Saaz, Fuggles and Goldings? If you don't mind me askin.

Cheers

Umm...Hops :ph34r:
Never said I was any good at it :D

Try this

It's a reasonable start.

To me,

Cascade is kinda grape fruity
Fuggles earthy..
Have't used Goldings
Saaz...floral ? Used it lots but can't describe it
Hallertau....as above ?

Sorry...not much help.

Saaz and Hallertau are more your classical (or noble) german hops so more for lagers, pilseners, wheats...lighter beers
Fuggles and Goldings are English style hops and better suited to ales...though that's an extreme generalisations. And all generalisations are false. ;)

Pinch a brew from someone who hops heavily and find out what they used...or go out, buy some hops and use in moderation until you find the combo u like...that's what I'm doing :beer:

Norm Pyles hops FAQ

Edit: Add another linkys

Umm...Hops :ph34r:
Never said I was any good at it :D

Try this

It's a reasonable start.

To me,

Cascade is kinda grape fruity
Fuggles earthy..
Have't used Goldings
Saaz...floral ? Used it lots but can't describe it
Hallertau....as above ?

Sorry...not much help.

Saaz and Hallertau are more your classical (or noble) german hops so more for lagers, pilseners, wheats...lighter beers
Fuggles and Goldings are English style hops and better suited to ales...though that's an extreme generalisations. And all generalisations are false. ;)

Pinch a brew from someone who hops heavily and find out what they used...or go out, buy some hops and use in moderation until you find the combo u like...that's what I'm doing :beer:

Thanks for that. Does anyone else know a bit about hops?

Bear,

For one of the mopst comprehensive lists around just click on the hop variety in the CraftBrewer store & it will give you the detailed description of it. Added bonus, they are all available for purchase.
If you need any additional help, just email me.

cheers Ross

Thanks for all your help. Will now study the form and hopefully pick a winner!

Cheers

:beerbang:

I've got this guide. Have a few of the newer varieties I've found added in as well.

It's mostly taken from one of the sites linked in somewhere else in this thread or another one...

And some details from craftbrewer when I've bought things from there...

View attachment hopsguide.xls

I note the absence of NZ hop varieties (possibly some of the best hops in the world, at least the S hemisphere... :ph34r: )

Not a lot of competition in the Southern Hemisphere. :D

There are tons of good sites on hops. Google to your heart's content.
From memory Brauluver posted another couple of interesting one a few weeks back. It would be worthwhile searching back through his posts to find them.

A brief outline. This does not cover all hops varieties.

For that authentic Aussie flavour use Pride of Ringwood and or cluster.

For English ales and stouts use Fuggles and/or Goldings.

For lagers use either or a combination of tettnanger, saaz, hallertauer and hersbrucker.

For American brews use any hops starting with "C".

When reading recipes, be aware that a brewer may only select what is available in his area, rather than a more appropriate hop. For instance, an American brewer will select Northern brewer rather than Fuggles.

You as a brewer need to read between the lines as to why a certain hop was selected.

We in Australia have access to most international hops, rather than being limited as some brewers are.

Use the freshest hops you can lay your hands on for your brews.

"How to brew" buy J Palmer has a brilliant hop comparission guide in it the book is the bible i belive and all others are the hyme books .so as you can see they will all compliment each other. but I wpould start with HOW TO BREW!
DELBOY

Ant

That was prepared by John Ross at Hopco. I have a copy on my desktop and find it a useful reference. The origans table can give you some good clues to what a hop is going to be like.

MHB

Back