Hops From The Us

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
Two questions.
1. Has anybody had dealings with Puterbaugh Farms (Hops Direct) in the US and were you successful.
2. Has anybody used their US Saaz or US Saaz in general and how do these varieties compare with the CZ originals.
That's really four questions but they have just started selling the 2009 crop and it would be a new experience using hops that are only four months off the bines.

Another member of these forums, Seemax, brought back 5lb of various hops from Hops Direct from a recent trip to the USA, which we split.

Amarillo
Cascade
Magnum
US Goldings

I haven't brewed with them yet, but they smell great, the price is more than competitive, and service was excellent.

I purchased 2 pounds (cascade and amarillo) a month or so ago. Took about 2 weeks to get here. Ended up costing me about $6.70 per 100 grams.

Have since spoken to them about the best amount to order to reduce shipping costs and the answer was to buy 6 pounds. Postage costs for 2 pounds was about $43, if you buy 6 pounds it is about $60.

Here is what they said...

In the future you can get 6lb of pellets in a Large flat rate box for

$53.95

Carla

HOPS Direct, LLC.

Yes I have purchased from them. As the last post said, the cheapest way for shipping per pound is to buy 6 pounds at a time.
No problems, and arrived in just over a week.

I gave some US Saaz to a friend to brew with and he loved the smell. I have also brewed with them, but neither one of us has tapped the brew as of yet...I am sure they will be fine though.
The nose knows as they say.

Cheers,
bud

I got mine delivered to my hotel whilst in the US, but they stuffed up and sent me some flowers.

They immediately despatched the correct hops and another pound for free to my home in oz, so my experience has been very positive.

I'll have a better verdict on the overall quality in a few weeks when a few batches are ready to drink.

I recently ordered 20lbs with another brewer. The shipping cost was quite high but slightly cheaper than the flat rate box on a per kilo basis. I think we ended up paying ~$45/kg average with the order consisting of Cascade, Amarillo, and a bunch of other US and European hops. Dealing with them was fairly easy as I called them on Skype and asked any questions over Skype. The main problem was that they don't contact you prior to charging the shipping to your card, it just goes straight on. Nonetheless, they were easy to deal with and I am happy with the product.

A mate organised a bulk buy for him, myself and another brewer mate. I can't remember the exact figures but the bottom line was the more you ordered the cheaper it got. We ended up getting 19 lbs off them. I got 6 pounds and it ended up costing me in the region of $130-$140, i can't quite remember. The postage was pretty quick and the quality of the hops seems good. I have only cracked the amarillo, fuggle and nugget but they have performed well. A mate got Saaz but he hasn't used them yet.

They seem to be quite well priced and it is very easy to go through them and they were quite responsive to our requests. When i am running low on a few thing i will be using them again. Beats the pants off the prices my LHBS runs with.

Next thing you know they'll be importing hops from China ^_^

Cheers

Paul

Tony - I organised a (small) group buy from Hops Direct back here on AHB in March 2007. The primary purpose was to buy debittered hops, but participants were also able to tack on other hops. We bought Columbus, Mt Hood etc which weren't available at the time in Aus.

The debittered hops were terrible. They weren't debittered. They looked aged, but still had plenty of bitterness behind them, far too much for lambic brewing. Ashers lambic ended up tasting like an IIPA initially!

The other hops purchased (Columbus, Amarillo, Mt Hood, Cascade) were brilliant. Fresh, high quality hops at a great price. Generous packing too, one of the "1lb" Columbus bags weighed in at 587g!

Hops direct never replied to my feedback about the debittered hops, so I've not purchased anything from them since.

Hope that helps.

PS - back then Mt Hood was $6.63/lb ! Amarillo seemed overpriced at $13.42/lb, but was still cheaper than Aus (those prices excl shipping).

tony I order from those geezers, thats how I produce such excellent beers...LOL

seriously, if you do place an order let me know, as I need a couple of pounds for my next batch

Two questions.
1. Has anybody had dealings with Puterbaugh Farms (Hops Direct) in the US and were you successful.
2. Has anybody used their US Saaz or US Saaz in general and how do these varieties compare with the CZ originals.
That's really four questions but they have just started selling the 2009 crop and it would be a new experience using hops that are only four months off the bines.

Have had good dealings with them for near on two years now. In actual fact all the suppliers I have dealt with are very helpful. They most likely understand the closed shop problems that we seem to have here in Aus in respect to wholesale buying :ph34r: . The U.S varieties are very / fantastically well priced. I have managed to get the freight price down as far as $17kg Aus + the cost of the hops. Again the more you order the better the freight costs are.Once the order is dispatched you should receive a tracking number. The parcel should also come registered. Have spoken personally with Carla, she is very obliging / helpful. I highly recommend them while the dollar is good.

BYB

I have been eyeballing their Sorachi Ace pellets for a while now... Sound like a hop I would like.

i did 6lb with them and the shipping was $17.

So for AUd$ 96
I got (lucky I bought a vacuum sealer:) )

Item 01: 2 each HCASP1 Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.75
Item 02: 1 each HAMAP1 Amarillo Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 11.25
Item 03: 1 each HFUGUKP1 Fuggle (UK) Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 13.75
Item 04: 1 each HSTYP1 Styrian's (UK) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 14.25
Item 05: 1 each HCHINP1 Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.75

SubTotal: $ 66.50

Shipping: $TBD
Total: $ 66.50

Payment Info:

Payment via PayPal

Thank-you for your recent order, the shipping & handling charges
will be $17.23
This brings your total to $83.73

i did 6lb with them and the shipping was $17.
Hey mxd, thats a great price for shipping, much better than the fiftyfive odd dollars postage (USPS) I was assuming. Can you remember what delivery service Puterbaugh used for that rate? or should it have been $17.00/lb and you got lucky.

Hey mxd, thats a great price for shipping, much better than the fiftyfive odd dollars postage (USPS) I was assuming. Can you remember what delivery service Puterbaugh used for that rate? or should it have been $17.00/lb and you got lucky.
Thats what I was Thinking. $17 USD for that amount , not possible unless it a mistake. :huh:
GB

The cost was USD$22 to ship 2lb of hops when they stuffed up my order.

That sounds about right for two pound unless they use flat rate box which is cheaper if you fill the box.How long did it take to receive ? 5-10 days?
GB

Flat rate box is the only way to go, you need to ask them what they can stuff in there ;)

Batz

Flat rate box is the only way to go, you need to ask them what they can stuff in there ;)

Batz
There must be a lot of hop Aussie hops wholesalers bleeting at the moment. They had it good for a long time. Things change with the times and global market access, you just have to anticipate these things as a wholesaler and think laterally. Lets see what their prices are this year ? If the $AUD stays high I can see them loosing the market share on HB sales. Just my opinion.
GB

Latest posts

Back