Hops From The Us

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
absolutely - You must declare if bringing in on your person/luggage or you definately risk being fined.

So what I said was right then...? :wacko:

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me ;)

USPS update - Hops left SF 3 days ago - come on AQIS, I need to brew! Shame it could have been 30c cheaper if I'd held out 72 hours

made an order with nikobrew yesterday and it has already been marked as shipped :)
pounds of cascade for $10 USD each & cheap shipping is a win in my books.

You'd have to declare hops in your baggage at the airport though, wouldn't you? They'd come under the "plant material" thing, huh?

Yep. Just declare them and you will sail through customs no worries.
I brought a kilo of Kiwi hops in my suitcase 3 weeks ago returning from a trip to Auckland. The bag still smells fruity :icon_drool2: .

Filled out the form, got asked one question (which was 'Hop Flowers or Pellets?') on arrival and then got waved through when they realised they're pellets.
Flowers are the issue for them as they're not as processed. You might need an import permit for flowers - not sure. The minute you say 'Brewing herbs - hops' they know exactly what it is. There's no risk they're gonna get the drug squad onto you.

It's not a problem at all according to AQIS's site, and they didn't even want to open my bag. For the timid, here's the link that makes it crystal clear:
AQIS Hop Pellets & Extract

You simply need your hops in clean new bags. Mine were in snap seal bags, not even the foiled ones that many are sold in. Was not an issue.

My advice though is if you're travelling - get a bit of hop while you're over, it's not a problem in my experience.

Hopper.

So what I said was right then...? :wacko:

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me ;)

USPS update - Hops left SF 3 days ago - come on AQIS, I need to brew! Shame it could have been 30c cheaper if I'd held out 72 hours

I'm pretty sure everyone would have misunderstood you, since you responded (& quoted) a question on importing hops by mail, to which your answer was incorrect.
Bringing goods in your person is a totally different matter & for that instance your comments were pretty well spot on, though hop flowers will be confiscated, as there is a total ban.

cheers Ross

though hop flowers will be confiscated, as there is a total ban.

I thought Little Creatures were importing flowers for their ales, under special license and they have to bag up the used hops and return them to AQIS for destruction?

Probably just rumours, but.....I do remember seeing AQIS labelled crates when I was over there at the brewery!

I thought Little Creatures were importing flowers for their ales, under special license and they have to bag up the used hops and return them to AQIS for destruction?

Probably just rumours, but.....I do remember seeing AQIS labelled crates when I was over there at the brewery!
Ross is not totally correct..... IF I read his quote correctly
Yes LC did and yes they have to be disposed of in a certain manner. Requires special storage room etc but it can be done.
Probably not by your average home brewer.
Bringing them in your luggage is not going to work though.= FAIL
GB

Pellets and Isohop in checked luggage (not carry on). No problemo.

Flowers in any luggage without an export permit to do so. Epic fail.

That's the drill at the airport. No idea on mail, but I would say you need an export permit and they cost $$$.

Know people who work at Home Brew Stores who take samples of pellets home from Europe and the like as samples. There's no issue with processed material as far as I can see.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back