Hops From The Us

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm, I ordered mine 16/1 and still nothing ? Carla said she posted it on the 19'th Jan so hopefully soon.

How much did you pay for shipping ?
My postage was USD$59.81 and paypal gave me $0.9008 (the exchange rate was $0.9136 that day) so my cost was AU$66.39.
I have to confess I lost a week when I boasted about the fast delivery. Thats what Australia day does to pensioner's brains. My order was processed on 21/01/10

thanks for that, my postage was 17 so either going the slow boat or buggered up the cost, I will find out.

thanks for that, my postage was 17 so either going the slow boat or buggered up the cost, I will find out.

mine arrived today, the "stamp" on the box was for $14.50, it was a large box sent by USPS (US Postal Service) so not too sure if that was the cost to send in US and she got lucky ? But very happy.

I'm considering putting in an order from hops direct or other hop farm this week considering the US dollar. Anyone delt with any of them lately and postage cost? The postage costs in this thread are all over the place even though the the same amounts and suppliers used. Still working out the best site to use, I really only want some Cascade and maybe one or two others making up 3LBS.

I went halves with mxd not long ago in a buy from Hops Direct, 3 pound to my door was 65 bucks. I'm pretty sure he got 3 pounds as well because that's what fits into a cheap box. So not bad considering for 130 java's you can get 6 pound

I'm in Washington state in a few weeks - Hops Direct, here I come!

Arhhhh! They only have 2010 Amarillo in flowers :angry: $13.50 a pound <_<

got an email re Amarillo. they plan to have them in pellet form in 4-6 weeks. se email also re postage:
--------------------------------------------------
Hello Clayton ,

Thank you for your email, we like to ship via USPS with our out
of the states orders.
The most economical way of shipping internationally is to use the
International Flat Rate Boxes.
Here are a few shipping options:

Medium Flat Rate Box $43.45 can fit up to 5 - 1# pellet pkgs.
Or
1-5# pkg. pellet and 1 1# pkg. pellet

Large Flat Rate Box $55.95 can fit up to 7 - 1# pellet pkgs.
Or
1 -11# pellet pkg.

We are hoping to have our Amarillo in 4-6 weeks.

Carla

I'm in Washington state in a few weeks - Hops Direct, here I come!

Arhhhh! They only have 2010 Amarillo in flowers :angry: $13.50 a pound <_<

If it were me I'd buy some pellets and flowers, then plead ignorant if caught in quarantine :)

got an email re Amarillo. they plan to have them in pellet form in 4-6 weeks. se email also re postage:
--------------------------------------------------
Hello Clayton ,

Thank you for your email, we like to ship via USPS with our out
of the states orders.
The most economical way of shipping internationally is to use the
International Flat Rate Boxes.
Here are a few shipping options:

Medium Flat Rate Box $43.45 can fit up to 5 - 1# pellet pkgs.
Or
1-5# pkg. pellet and 1 1# pkg. pellet

Large Flat Rate Box $55.95 can fit up to 7 - 1# pellet pkgs.
Or
1 -11# pellet pkg.

We are hoping to have our Amarillo in 4-6 weeks.

Carla

That is great news, fingers crossed now that Aus$ stays strong for another month or so.

Has anyone tried the yank grown pommy hops?? How do they compare??

If it were me I'd buy some pellets and flowers, then plead ignorant if caught in quarantine :)
I think you're almost guaranteed to be found out and not get the flowers, or possibly worse.
Seems that everyone here has had their Hops Direct parcel opened and inspected, but the vac-sealed pellets not tampered with.
In fact, I reckon Hops Direct might be reluctant to sell flowers to Aus, knowing that they might cop a fine from AQIS.

Anyone tried to buy flowers yet?

I wouldn't want to have been the one who brought a pathogen into Australia and nailed the commercial hop growers here.

I'd like to throttle the fecker who brought in Lantana, and toads, and rabbits, and...

People deserve all the fines they get - 'specially if my Chinook gets Hop AIDS.

I'd like to throttle the fecker who brought in Lantana, and toads, and rabbits, and...

Aussies? Hops? Barley? HTH :icon_cheers:

Point taken about pests though. Shame they don't sell plugs, not sure which side of the safe/not safe line they fall on?

My sister recently sent a birthday gift including a notepad made from 'Elephant Poo paper.. The paper was destroyed by Customs, despite obviously having been treated and not actual elephant poo!
They don't miss anything @ customs, I agree it isn't worth the risk trying for Leaf Hops, only to receive an empty box with a mean note.

Afaik plugs are all made in the UK and originally came into existence because they fit through the spile hole of a cask, for dry hopping. However since then they have started doing a big range of hops in plugs as they store and ship heaps better than loose flowers. Yes it would be great if the Yanks latched onto this as it would be great to get Cascade, Galena etc plugs. Woohoo.

Looks like they already have by the look of this page:
http://www.americanhopplugs.com/

See 'participating retailers' for retail outlets (I assume the linked website is wholesalers)

Very promising. Plugs I could work with and would love to try out some of these Yankee Hops everyone rates.

hop plug + giant tea ball, then pop into keg so it sits next to pickup tube

drool.jpeg

I think you're almost guaranteed to be found out and not get the flowers, or possibly worse.
Seems that everyone here has had their Hops Direct parcel opened and inspected, but the vac-sealed pellets not tampered with.
In fact, I reckon Hops Direct might be reluctant to sell flowers to Aus, knowing that they might cop a fine from AQIS.

Anyone tried to buy flowers yet?

You only cop a fine if you don't declare goods. :ph34r:

I've brought flowers (orchids) in from singapore by the f#$kin' big box-load many times, and always got them through. They just want to inspect and ensure no infestations. Not sure how this'd work for hop flowers though. Anybody got any contacts / links to AQIS pages?

Hop Pellets are fine, but YOU MUST DECLARE THEM to avoid a fine.

edit: disclaimer - this is my experience only, and may not be representative of your experience / enjoyment of AQIS (..cue medical glove snapping on hand noise...)

You only cop a fine if you don't declare goods. :ph34r:
Wrong, a private individual ordering online from overseas cannot declare the goods - you will NOT be fined. The goods will be impounded & you will be contacted by AQIS who will inform you of the various options.

I've brought flowers (orchids) in from singapore by the f#$kin' big box-load many times, and always got them through. They just want to inspect and ensure no infestations. Not sure how this'd work for hop flowers though. Anybody got any contacts / links to AQIS pages?

Hop Pellets are fine, but YOU MUST DECLARE THEM to avoid a fine.

wrong again - there is no need to declare & importing hop pellets is fine

edit: disclaimer - this is my experience only, and may not be representative of your experience / enjoyment of AQIS (..cue medical glove snapping on hand noise...)

cheers Ross

You'd have to declare hops in your baggage at the airport though, wouldn't you? They'd come under the "plant material" thing, huh?

I might just hide them in a boogieboard bag....

You'd have to declare hops in your baggage at the airport though, wouldn't you? They'd come under the "plant material" thing, huh?

absolutely - You must declare if bringing in on your person/luggage or you definately risk being fined.

Latest posts

Back