Hops From The Us

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed the order wednesday and said to use paypal, which states they will let me know the shipping price.

the cutting from my last reply was from the email I got today, I will let you know if I get a whoops we thought you were in usa or if I get the box and can see the cost.

heres hoping, I was expectin a $50 type cost which was still going to be cheap hops (I thnk)

cheers
Matt

There must be a lot of hop Aussie hops wholesalers bleeting at the moment. They had it good for a long time. Things change with the times and global market access, you just have to anticipate these things as a wholesaler and think laterally. Lets see what their prices are this year ? If the $AUD stays high I can see them loosing the market share on HB sales. Just my opinion.
GB

Nothing's changed here GB, I'm doing as I have aways. ;)

Batz

has anyone brought in US hop flowers from them?

Wouldn't customs have something to say about that ? I know LC have to go thru all sorts of hassle for the leaf cascade they bring in

Wouldn't customs have something to say about that ? I know LC have to go thru all sorts of hassle for the leaf cascade they bring in

You can only import pellets, but I think I've found a way around this for minimal cost, so stick to pellets for now.

Tony, when can I place my order for the bulk buy that you are organising

A Thing or the past vpa look after #1, transportation has killed the bulk buy, and this will only get worst.
Best you don't get me started on the save the world stuff.

Batz

You can only import pellets, but I think I've found a way around this for minimal cost, so stick to pellets for now.

A Thing or the past vpa look after #1, transportation has killed the bulk buy, and this will only get worst.
Best you don't get me started on the save the world stuff.

Batz

I know, but I like winding Tony M up.

Took 5 days to ship the 2lb.

PS The box was opened and checked by AQIS so importing flowers could be risky (not legally, just financially).

I called Hops Direct recently and they gave me the following figures, if others that have done this have found better options let us know.
Medium Flat Rate box (approx max capacity of 4Lb) = $43.50
Large Flat Rate box (approx max capacity of 6Lb) = $55.95

larger orders they use their boxing and they seem to want to go via Priority International postage. 10lbs this way would cost $95.30.

Seems that loosely speaking you should add about $10 a lb to the cost for postage. Anyone done better??

I called Hops Direct recently and they gave me the following figures, if others that have done this have found better options let us know.
Medium Flat Rate box (approx max capacity of 4Lb) = $43.50
Large Flat Rate box (approx max capacity of 6Lb) = $55.95

larger orders they use their boxing and they seem to want to go via Priority International postage. 10lbs this way would cost $95.30.

Seems that loosely speaking you should add about $10 a lb to the cost for postage. Anyone done better??

This is what I like about Nikobrew. I can order up to 2.5lb with postage under $13. It allows me to get 2 x 1lb and some sample some others; apply our 5% AUSSIEHOPS discount and I get a hop order for a decent price; that I dont have to order 10 years worth in 1 transaction.

QldKev

This is what I like about Nikobrew. I can order up to 2.5lb with postage under $13. It allows me to get 2 x 1lb and some sample some others; apply our 5% AUSSIEHOPS discount and I get a hop order for a decent price; that I dont have to order 10 years worth in 1 transaction.

QldKev

Kev - Is there $5 "flat rate" shipping valid to overseas customers?
Looking at their prices for hops they seem to be more than double the price of Hops direct /Puterbaugh farms which kind of negates the shipping savings
Eg Nikobrew Amarillo $28 per Lb Vs HD Amarillo $11.25 ??

Kev - Is there $5 "flat rate" shipping valid to overseas customers?
Looking at their prices for hops they seem to be more than double the price of Hops direct /Puterbaugh farms which kind of negates the shipping savings
Eg Nikobrew Amarillo $28 per Lb Vs HD Amarillo $11.25 ??

Nope the $5 is US only.

I think for smaller sized batches by the time you balance $hops + $shipping +$convience of not having to by larger quantities; the extra couple of $ is ok. For larger orders HD may be a better option.

QldKev

would there be any duty or tax to be paid on hops from the US?

Also.....what do the hops arive in. Are they vac packed?

When we got our a few months ago they were all vac packed in foil bags. I love that sound when you crack them and the bad fills with air and you take that first long sniff :icon_drool2:

Customs had opened a couple of our bags, including my Amarillo :eek: . My mate ordered off them previously and that order had been opened too so i think they are quick onto any plant matter etc coming in.

disclaimer: im not for or against importing hops. just providing some info.

anything over AUS$1000 has an import tax applied (unless ur an importer and have a licence). however if you import lots and lots of stuff over a year 'the man' will come knocking at your door claiming your an importer and demand cash for a licence.

they will come vac packed (or should depending on your supplier). customs may have a peak in your packages but they shouldnt have a need to if all the paperwork is in order (which the US company should have all worked out).

edit: also you would want to investigate shipping well. thats where it hurts ($ wise). look at flat rate options for set weight amounts as an option. or you can ask the company to work out the cheapest option. some companies also have alleged rules about which shipping company they can use and that will effect the frewight cost.

edit2: jimi. there is a 20lb option that 1 frieght company uses. not sure of which one though.

My six pounds of hops arrived today, ordered only last weekend so it was about 8 days. They worked out at AU$49.98/Kg tho our dollar has dropped a couple of cents last week, but would still be good value. Their real worth is the freshness. They are nothing like the chook pellets I usually end up with, the aroma being almost mouthwatering.
Looking at the space in the box, I reckon there is room for 8 or 9 pounds if you wanted it.

My six pounds of hops arrived today, ordered only last weekend so it was about 8 days. They worked out at AU$49.98/Kg tho our dollar has dropped a couple of cents last week, but would still be good value. Their real worth is the freshness. They are nothing like the chook pellets I usually end up with, the aroma being almost mouthwatering.
Looking at the space in the box, I reckon there is room for 8 or 9 pounds if you wanted it.

mmm, I ordered mine 16/1 and still nothing ? Carla said she posted it on the 19'th Jan so hopefully soon.

How much did you pay for shipping ?

Latest posts

Back