Hop Sock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
I have never used a hop sock but there seems to be some popularity with American brewers and some Aussie brewers.
I presume there is a loss of utilisation? Any idea if any and how much?
What if any advantages/disadvantages have you found [based on actually using one yourself, not just cut and paste].
If I try this method what size bag to use and is Swiss Voile suitable [I have any amount as my wife and I have an Interior design business].
Do you have a separate bag for each addition? Easy to do.
Is the bag loose or stuffed tight with hops?
Finally do you put flame out hops loose in the boil or also in the bag?
I may try it on a brew if there are some positives.
I use mainly pellets by the way.

Steve

Only time I've ever bothered trying to contain my hops is when using fresh flowers. I don't have a hop screen so flowers can block the tap.

Last time I used flowers, I used a minimash grain bag and had the hops in very loosely. It was a single addition beer (PoR and Cluster). Tastes as I had hoped which is all I have to go on in terms of utilisation.

For pellets, I don't see the necessity.

The key is not to constrict them, you can use multiple small bags with a limited amount in them. If you want specifics, I would go with the tasty method which is no more than 2oz in each 9"x6" bag.

And yes, **** flowers, when you siphon from the kettle and keep getting blockages it's not a good brew day.

Swiss voile will work perfectly, just make sure you don't restrict the contents.
Whether you use bag or hopsock I guarantee you will not be able to tell the difference, despite claims to the contrary that are bound to follow. From memory, loss of utilisation is approx 1 IBU & your palate cannot detect changes this small at all.

Cheers Ross

Swiss voile will work perfectly, just make sure you don't restrict the contents.
Whether you use bag or hopsock I guarentee you will not be able to tell the difference, despite claims to the contrary that are bound to follow. From memory, loss of utilisation is approx 1 IBU & your palate cannot detect changes this small at all.

Cheers Ross

Thanks guys I may just give it a try. Do you "sock" your flameout addition? And do you remove the boil addition at flameout.

Steve

Thanks guys I may just give it a try. Do you "sock" your flameout addition? YES And do you remove the boil addition at flameout not usually, but you could if you want.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back