Hop Shortage - Anyone Experiencing It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingMad

Ein Stein
Reaction score
Just ducked out to a home brewing retailer and they were totally out of Pride of Ringwood and said they wouldn't have them for quite sometime as there were shortages.

Also told me that their US hop varieties will be taking a price hike in the coming months due to the US shortage.

Got me a little curious. Anyone else experienced this? Heard stuff like this (news of local and O/S shortage? Would have thought that the US season would have been better recently.

Weird that POR would be scarce - thought it was one of the most common of all given it's grown local.

Hopper.

Just ducked out to a home brewing retailer and they were totally out of Pride of Ringwood and said they wouldn't have them for quite sometime as there were shortages.

Also told me that their US hop varieties will be taking a price hike in the coming months due to the US shortage.

Got me a little curious. Anyone else experienced this? Heard stuff like this (news of local and O/S shortage? Would have thought that the US season would have been better recently.

Weird that POR would be scarce - thought it was one of the most common of all given it's grown local.

Hopper.

The Price of amarillo is pretty nuts at the moment

Amarillo Hop pellets 1 Kg $130.00000 @ G n G

Anyone know when the '08 crop will hit us?

Q

harvest time soon innit? thought the 08' crop would be long gone.

isnt harvest time mid year? our winter their summer?

harvest time i belive is the same as its big cousin...

march - april. (our time) (no idea us months)

happy to be corrected

yep same problem with POR here in Sydney....Ive been told we should see more closer to winter time. I think I remember ESB in sydney still have POR hops and flowers on their web site

Hopper.

Plenty or POR about,you need to shop some place else.
You want some? I just ordered a bit.

Batz

sorry Fents, i was posting in regards to northern hemisphere hops. their spring our autumn.

obviously we rnt going to import POR so it would be soon.

Weird. The shortage in north america is actually easing. At least according to a retailer I know it is. He wasn't able to get in any hops prior to about 2 months ago, but can now get pretty much anything.

In that other thread on hops for sale via Ellerslie Hop farm (Vanessa spokesperson) she said that the POR would be harvested starting in a couple of months. With the Northern hemisphere harvest in their Autumn, which is September onwards, Newguy confirms that supplies from the North are now hitting the market. Got some POR pellets from Ross about three weeks ago and they were so fresh in taste and aroma they were clawing their way out of the packet. Just tasted the result on bottling the other night, mmmmmmm.

Me too Bribie. Not sure what to use them on yet, just got them coz I could :D

Cheers,
Jake

I used mine in an AG brew that I then split into four small cubes to do four partials. (see sig) Did a partial with a cube, a Coopers Lager, a kilo of dex and Nottingham yeast.

The POR was for bittering and I used a small addition of New Zealand BSaaz for aroma.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hop in the Coopers can comes from POR as well because on tasting the hops all fit together like peas n corn. Can't wait till it's conditioned.

Actually can't believe how quickly the year is going, it's actually more like a month :eek:

Thanks for the ideas Bribie. You seem to brew all the time! :D
I just whacked some yeast cake into yesteday's IPA and within hours it was off like a rocket, gotta love AG.

Cheers,
Jake

There is huge demand for high-alpha bittering hops to be used in isohop extract. I'd imagine some large brewer snapped most of it up on contract.

Amarillo was one of the hops the store was talking about hiking the price on. Bummer that - I use a bit of it. :(

Think the comments here are right - will have to shop around and failing that pay postage and go through Ross. Just thought in Vic we'd be pretty close to the source of these POR hops (with growers in the high country like Harrietville and Tassie not far away) but it appears there's been a run on them.

Did notice the Ellerslie thread on bulk hops for sale, still weighing up if I need 500g or a kilo though - that's a lot of one type so would have to make sure I use them.

Thanks for the offer Batz. Will do a bit of digging around - and if nothing comes I'll PM you. Think I will find some - just wasn't expecting to be going on a treasure hunt around Melbourne looking for a store that stocked some.

Hopper.

north east victoria among the CUB/FOSTERS farms there is no shortage, cluster, por in abundance. Just check around. The local HBS is not always the only source. There are heaps of hops in Vic this year, great rains yada yada, prior too Feb of course.

north east victoria among the CUB/FOSTERS farms there is no shortage, cluster, por in abundance. Just check around. The local HBS is not always the only source. There are heaps of hops in Vic this year, great rains yada yada, prior too Feb of course.

There has been a big shortage of aus hops this year - i've not been able to get POR flowers for ages; so please point me in the right direction Haysie, to where this abundance is available.
Hopefully when the new season stock arrives in the next few months the price/crop will be favourable.

cheers Ross

I dont know what you lot are talking about. I got 100g of 2008 Northern Brewer from Marks for $8. He has loads of hops.

Steve

I dont know what you lot are talking about. I got 100g of 2008 Northern Brewer from Marks for $8. He has loads of hops.

Steve

Can't say I am having a problem either

There has been a big shortage of aus hops this year - i've not been able to get POR flowers for ages; so please point me in the right direction Haysie, to where this abundance is available.
Hopefully when the new season stock arrives in the next few months the price/crop will be favourable.

cheers Ross

abundance - me 35kg $17kg split among a few of us!, 35kg to you is nothing.Nevertheless great crop hops this year, CUB just claimed em all maybe.
Check out the King Valley and other North Eastern farms.

Latest posts

Back