Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Phil,

Grumpy's sold the rhizomes, as well as a few other brew shops.

My Hallertau is going great. It would be about 2.5 meters high. My Columbus has stalled after having great inital growth. Maybe the hot day today will get it going.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc... I will check them out. It seems this time of year is no good for planting is that correct?

What varieties would you recommend for Inner Melbourne area? I'm thinking of going for pride of ringwood to start with...

Yep, you've pretty much missed out for this season.
Planting is typically around 1 Sept.

As for the Melb climate, I believe most will grow well there. I know the Melb guys are growing a real mix of varities.

Beers,
Doc

Here is an update on mine. Pic taken about a week ago.
I left a lot of shoots just to see how they would go. As you can see they are growing along the fence as well as the stakes.
I also had a close look yesterday and they look like they are starting to flower.

cheers

johnno

Here's mine finally kickin ass

Early '70s I worked for a week training hops near Wang(aratta).

The plants all had several runners which where all in clumps on the ground. There were twines hanging from the wires above. At each plant, we would take the 3 closest strings, poke them into the ground together beside the plant using a piece of broom handle with a little slot on the end. After untangling the bines, we would wind the 3 best ones up the strings, and prune the rest off.

DSCF0929.jpg

dickTed said:

The plants all had several runners which where all in clumps on the ground. There were twines hanging from the wires above. At each plant, we would take the 3 closest strings, poke them into the ground together beside the plant using a piece of broom handle with a little slot on the end. After untangling the bines, we would wind the 3 best ones up the strings, and prune the rest off.
[post="99397"][/post]​
The image didn't come through properly, are there supposed to be some hops in there? :ph34r:

Its finally a bit warmer in Perth and the hops are going better. It seems tall long strings are the best way to go. After getting to 3 m high I wanted mine to grow sideways, but they dont like it and keep heading up. Each morning I have to climb up and wind the buggers along the horizontal strings.

hops1.jpg

I harvested my first flowers at the weekend, there are plenty of unripe ones still on the plant. Now that I've seen flowers ripening I know that as well as feeling drier the ripe ones also go a paler green which can be seen from the ground, even when the flowers are high up.

Anyone in Perth got cuttings ready to go?
I assume It's okay to plant a cutting now?

Not fussy on variety, just something to get me started.

Simo

My wuerttemberger are to the top of their post, but my precoce de bourgogne got burned off :( I hope the little rhizome in the cellar is still ok. Not sure how my chinook is doing in its second year, have not been in contact with the gardener for a while.

sosman said:
dickTed said:

[post="99397"][/post]​
The image didn't come through properly, are there supposed to be some hops in there? :ph34r:
[post="99429"][/post]​
LOL BULK.

SimonW,

I will probably take some cuttings from my Pride of Ringwood some time this summer and will happily set one aside for you. It will be good for planting next winter/spring.

db

Cheers DeeBee.
I was actually hoping to find one ready to go, coz I'm heading overseas in 6 weeks and I'll be back at the end of March.
But if that's no drama for you, we've got a deal.
I don't have another variety to trade, so whatever $ you think is reasonable for your efforts.

Simon,

You won't find one ready to grow now. Hops are seasonal.
Hop plants (rhizomes) are planted late August, early Sept.
Plants are currently coming into season and depending on your location may be ready for picking/harvesting.
Brewshops such as Grumpy's take orders and send out rhizomes around July each year.

Beers,
Doc

Simon W

As Doc says, no planting now. And Deebees cuttings make fine plants, I have a cutting of his that is growing really well compared to my active $40 Grumpys rhyzome, and even better compared to my Grumpys rhyzome that died, so a six pack of your best brew to Deebee in Spring for a decent cutting is a bargain and will get you on your way.

hey doc im looking at getting in to growing hops next year can you give me some idea on what ones grow best in sydney

Hey Barls,

This year is the first year I've tried.
I'm growing Hersbrucker and Columbus. Both are going well. Doesn't look like I'll get many flowers this year though (which is expected in the first year). I'm not sure what other varieties the Sydney guys are growing.

Beers,
Doc

thanks doc. ok im going to open the question up to others in sydney. which ones grow well in sydney

deebee said:
SimonW,

I will probably take some cuttings from my Pride of Ringwood some time this summer and will happily set one aside for you. It will be good for planting next winter/spring.

db
[post="101951"][/post]​

DB, what do you do as far as cuttings go, do you take it from the leafy part or the Root?

Just clip any active shoot/end of any branch and place it in a jar of water. Doesn't have to be the end (don't cut the top off your prized plant, just any side shoot/branch).

Within a week or two it will have white roots shooting out of it so then stick it in a pot/ground and keep well watered. They are weeds, they'll grow from anything.

Latest posts

Back