Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cascade would be awesome Darren.
I'll definitely do a cutting swap if you're keen.
Maybe I've got a greener thumb then you guys, but my hops are already starting to grow little buds :)
View attachment 4830
Bit of a shitty pic, but you can see it's already taller than me.
I had to loop the top runner around because it was going ballistic.

Hi guys & girls in your gardens down south :)... I've been watching and following this thred all the way & some of you have great looking HOPS coming along.
Up here in the far north we cant grow HOPS :ph34r: but we can grow sugar cane.

cane.JPG

This is my black cane shoots just getting going. Its rocketing along aswell growing almost an inch a day ...This is an old style cane and has heeps of juice, the kids love it . Its also the one that you see juiced @ markets sometimes ... any way hijack over back to your HOPS ....

keep the pics comming is great to see how your all going...

Good luck :beer:

bunyip

tangent said:
Cascade would be awesome Darren.
I'll definitely do a cutting swap if you're keen.
Maybe I've got a greener thumb then you guys, but my hops are already starting to grow little buds :)
View attachment 4830
Bit of a shitty pic, but you can see it's already taller than me.
I had to loop the top runner around because it was going ballistic.
[post="91621"][/post]​

No worries, wait til it gets going and its yours. You will need a bigger trellis for yours by the time it flowers. Mine grew ~20 ft high last year

yeah I know
just waiting for a more permanent home for it
how the hell do you pick from a 20ft plant?

tangent said:
yeah I know
just waiting for a more permanent home for it
how the hell do you pick from a 20ft plant?
[post="92065"][/post]​

It saw attached to a string that I lowered at harvest time. Probably only got 20g of dried flowers from it too (not too bad for first year)

Here's the one I put in 2 months ago. It's one of the Cluster hops that were sold on eBay. I put the cutting in with plenty of compost, but it just sat there going brown around the edges of the leaves which where full of tiny pin-holes.

An expert on Gardening Australia said use 10 percent vinegar for mould or mildew, so I tried that, and I don't know whether it was a coincidence or what, but a couple of days later there was a 1" shoot sticking up with a tiny bud on top. That bud opened up into two leaves, and another bud shot up.

Quick! Up goes the trellis wire.

Keep that sugar cane coming Bunyip. That's cane mulch keeping the worms busy.

hop_north.jpg

Steve said:
TL - I put the cutting in a pot of dirt last night. Will keep you posted...then its all yours. Did yours ending up shooting any roots?
Cheers
Steve
[post="91395"][/post]​

G'day Steve,
Sorry mate, I've been away for a few days. The Goldings cuttings are still alive in the water but they're bloody hardly shooting any roots at all. The thicker cutting has a small whiteish noodle sticking out from the bottom but that's all.

I'll keep looking after them but sheesh, I didn't know that these Goldings cuttings were so hard to propagate. The mother plant is going berserk so there's plenty more cuttings to harvest if these two shoots don't work.

Will keep you up to date. ;)

Cheers,
Rowan

are there any leaves on the cutting TL?
mine did jack until i pulled the leaves off, then the roots almost popped out overnight.

tangent said:
are there any leaves on the cutting TL?
mine did jack until i pulled the leaves off, then the roots almost popped out overnight.
[post="92328"][/post]​

As a matter of fact each of the cuttings has three pairs of leaves - I thought it best to leave them on to provide growth/photosynthetic nutrients to the cutting stems...

So you reckon I should whip them off???

TL

Looking good DT,

TL, when I did my cuttin there was basically only the bud at the top. But I didn't have the option of leaving the leaves on so can't advise there, but it does work without them. A few root 'noodles' will soon expand. Once they start cranking out they certainly go for it.

My cutting is now in the ground (as of sunday) and looks so thin and spindly next to the other plant. It was not 'pot bound' but there was certainly alot of roots all over the pot surface. It is however about twice the height of the original plant it came from and altogether looks totally different. The main plant has got over it's deficiacies (or death by kindness) and is starting to charge along again.

Will get some pics of them both and post when I get a chance.

Borret

Righto! No more mister nice guy...

I'll strip one of the cuttings of its leaves and see how it goes! There's plenty more cuttings if I kill these ones, but I will be rather pi$$ed off at wasting the last few weeks of careful nurturing if it does cark it!!

The main Goldings plant is budding flowers / cones so I'll send some pics when I get my hands on the camera...

Cheers,
TL

mine was doing nothing for about a week, then i read on this about taking the leaves off...BAM!
then after it grew roots, it grew more leaves, off with them, the roots grew even bigger (a bit)
now it's in a little nursery until it's big and strong enough to swap :)

edit: my cutting fitted perfectly in a pony glass (maybe 50mm long) and it had 2 little leaves

hockadays said:
Can you grow hops hydroponicly ?

Matt
[post="90772"][/post]​

Hydroponics is not all about indoor and lights.

You can grow out doors or in a glass house using hydro methods just like commercial fruit farms ,Strawberrys etc....

I've got a cutting in a pot that is going well despite the youngest tippng it out of its pot twice.
Its the only orange pot and its fair game to the baby. All the black pots with herbs etc are always left alone.

If this one lives it will be a srong one.

Another one died in the pot and i also have some more in water at the moment waiting for roots. (No pun intended) :D

The main plant in the meantime is starting to go off. I really must find something to support it on.

cheers
johnno

Darren said:
couple of leaves is the go
[post="92545"][/post]​

Iv'e not got any hops in this year but planning to get one going next year with the view to propagating/swapping in adelaide with other interested growers.
I am a horticulturalist by trade and have propagated thousands of ornamentals over the years both commercially and privately and can't see much difficulty in striking a weed like hops ( humulus).

When you take a cutting the idea is to reduce the leaf area to a minimum that will still support some photo synthesis and basic plant functions but not require to much energy to sustain life. The point at which the plant is removed from the host is a wound and will be targeted with new cells to repair the wound.If a rooting hormone is applied the cells will form a callous that will become root hairlets and eventually roots.A bottom heat of 25c will encourage and hasten this process ,as will a little humidity around the top(leaves) of the cutting to reduce stress.

If anyone is interested next spring iwould like to form a co-operative of adelaide hop growers and collect asstd cuttings to propagate with a view to sharing amongst all contributors and selling on excess plants to realise fund for the purchase of more varieties to grow within the group.We would in effect become farmer/producers of hops with an ever expanding variety of hops to offer to other brewers.A true cottage industry.

I cut 4-5 bines (about 15-20cm long) off my Columbus nearly two weeks ago and put them in a glass of water on the window sill in the kitchen.
They are all starting to develop roots. I changed the water yesterday for the first time. Will see how they progress in the next week and may try to tranplant them back into the pot where they came from (but obviously they will now have their own roots).

Beers,
Doc

Well, the two cuttings have just had a crew cut - I left the topmost pair of minature leaves on and snipped off the rest - and topped up the jar with fresh water.

Here's a couple of pics showing the Goldings - are these buds the beginnings of some hop flowers? :blink:
Img_1236.jpg
Here's another shot of another bine from the same plant...
Img_1237.jpg

The Cab Sav next door to the Goldings is doing quite nicely too!
Img_1238.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality - I took the shots at dusk when I got home from work this arvo...Cheers,
TL

TL,
Its too early for them to be coning up.
Here is a piccy of my last crop taken 15 Jan this year.
They were just starting to cone up then.

hops.JPG

Back