Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hockadays said:
Can you grow hops hydroponicly ?

Matt
[post="90772"][/post]​

I imagine that you could, as the hop plant is guided by the length of sunlight in it's growth and production stages. I would guess though that you have to fake two growth cycles before you get a good crop though. Living in QLD and seeing the plants others are growing down South has me thinking the same. Though you may attract the attention of sticky peaks and busy bodies looking to bust you for growing the hops cousin.

i think hops would be a bugger indoors because they grow so quick and high that you'd be re-training it all the time or burning up into the lights

how do they go in a planter box? cause im thinking of getting some next year

barls - just remember, they go UP in a big way and like to climb

yeah ive been thinking about that i might get a pole with a pulley at the top an run some lines from the top and one line on the otherside so i can let it down if it gets too high. whens the best time to plant them late winter early spring?

My hops this year have started to throw out independent shoots, joined to the main plant but easy to cut off.

I think my problem next year will be how to keep this monster in check.

barls said:
yeah ive been thinking about that i might get a pole with a pulley at the top an run some lines from the top and one line on the otherside so i can let it down if it gets too high.
[post="90812"][/post]​

Yep if you check my photo's a few pages back that is what I have done. I just used large eyebolts though but should work the same as it's certainly not going to rub through the twine over 1 or 2 lowerings

Borret

thats exactly what im thinking of mate im sure i can knock off an old pulley off the old man.

My second season POR is going bananas along the fence, so I looped some rope around a tree from the fence, giving two strings about 4m long for the hops to climb, at an angle of about 30 degrees to horizontal.

Should the ropes be loose or tight, I'm worried about the wind possibly breaking the vines if some strong winds come through and blow the rope, stretching the vines to breaking point.

Anyone got any ideas or done a similar thing?

Cheers

Sam

sosman said:
My hops this year have started to throw out independent shoots, joined to the main plant but easy to cut off.

I think my problem next year will be how to keep this monster in check.
[post="90822"][/post]​

Same here Sosman.
I have already trimmed about 6 shoots and as you can see there are plenty more.

I was going to grow about 3 shoots along the picket fence but now I'm not so sure how well they will grow there.
The main shoot along the fence I accidently snapped of a couple of days ago.
I really dont have room to put anything there for them to grow on unless its straight up.
Looks like its finally enjoying the move from the pot to the ground.

johnno

PS Sosman I should have some going in pots if you want to swap this year.

hop.JPG

johnno said:
I really dont have room to put anything there for them to grow on unless its straight up.
Looks like its finally enjoying the move from the pot to the ground.

PS Sosman I should have some going in pots if you want to swap this year.
[post="91031"][/post]​
Hops like straight up.

Yeah I'll swap you some.

sosman said:
Hops like straight up.

[post="91033"][/post]​

Maybe I should just let them grow as the like. With no support whatsoever.
The wild hops bush. :blink: :D :D

johnno

TL - I put the cutting in a pot of dirt last night. Will keep you posted...then its all yours. Did yours ending up shooting any roots?
Cheers
Steve

I only have three shoots at the moment. Looks like its about to take off. You welcome to some then.

what are you growing Darren?
I've got Hersbrucker - (maybe perfect for your Lagers)
FNW I got a lager finishing hop when i mostly brew ales :blink:

Latest posts

Back