Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers goatchop
ended up bottling at 1.018, 3 days ago.
I'll give it another week then sample, can't wait.
Will report back

hi everyone well done on such a great thread!
I am doing WWDWD's original recipie in an 18l boil. I have put it into Brewsmith and If i add the tins of extract after the boil as usual then the IBU's are 75.3
I put the exact same recipe and steps into Iains Spreadsheet and it says the IBU's will be 50.3
Why the discrepancy? Should i just go ahead with it anyway?
Thanks in advance,
Richie

IIs it to do with hop utilisatio? Are you boiling with the same gravity as the original poster?

thanks for the reply, yep same gravity... really want to give this a crack but i want to be true to the recipe. If i add the 2 tins of LME to the boil then it brings it down to 50 IBU. Should i just do that? I don't really want to as it will be harder to bring it down to 18 degrees in the ice bath.
Cheers,
Richie

stompnground said:
thanks for the reply, yep same gravity... really want to give this a crack but i want to be true to the recipe. If i add the 2 tins of LME to the boil then it brings it down to 50 IBU. Should i just do that? I don't really want to as it will be harder to bring it down to 18 degrees in the ice bath.
Cheers,
Richie
Are you sure your boil gravity is the same? The original poster said he does a 4L boil and you are saying you are doing an 18L boil.

Your boil gravity (not original gravity in the fermenter) is what matters for hop utilisation.

aahhhh i see. I was looking at OG. I think his pre-boil was around 1.040 I just subbed out one tin of LME for DME to adjust my pre-boil gravity.
My preboil gravity is now 1.039 and IBU is now 61. OG 1.053 and 5.1% alc. getting closer... should they be the same?
cheers!

stompnground said:
aahhhh i see. I was looking at OG. I think his pre-boil was around 1.040 I just subbed out one tin of LME for DME to adjust my pre-boil gravity.
My preboil gravity is now 1.039 and IBU is now 61. OG 1.053 and 5.1% alc. getting closer... should they be the same?
cheers!
They should be close.

thanks for your help Dan, i will keep playing with it. really looking forward to this one!

Hi guys,

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I'm keen to give this one a go soon. I've seen posted around the forum that galaxy can give a hash bitterness if used as the bittering addition at the start of the boil. Has anyone experienced that with this recipe?

Cheers
Tom

murpho said:
Hi guys,

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I'm keen to give this one a go soon. I've seen posted around the forum that galaxy can give a hash bitterness if used as the bittering addition at the start of the boil. Has anyone experienced that with this recipe?

Cheers
Tom
Hi Murpho. I've used galaxy at 30 minutes as "bittering" addition in an all galaxy pale ale. while I've only done it once i didn't have an issue with it. But it was that exact info ( the harsh bittering) that made me not do any additions before 30 minutes. I've done a version of the hop hog clone but i used simcoe as the bittering addition. I'd probably not risk it myself. Hope that helps.

burrster said:
Hi Murpho. I've used galaxy at 30 minutes as "bittering" addition in an all galaxy pale ale. while I've only done it once i didn't have an issue with it. But it was that exact info ( the harsh bittering) that made me not do any additions before 30 minutes. I've done a version of the hop hog clone but i used simcoe as the bittering addition. I'd probably not risk it myself. Hope that helps.
thanks burrster, yeah I'm thinking it might not be best until I've tried a galaxy brew. I'll probably use something else for the bittering addition, possibly magnum as i have some of that lying around and its worked well every time I've used it. Might not be true to this beer but I just want to make something similar that tastes good :)

cheers,
tom

Latest posts

Back