Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made an IPA with Centennial, Citra & Simcoe and hops wise it didn't taste completely different to a poorly stored hop hog. (I'm not a very experienced brewer so pretty happy with it)

yeah i chatted with a dude from feral last night and he said
centennial, citra, cascade, simcoe and amarillo when its available, gonna give it a shot this weekend.

pressure_tested said:
I just made an IPA with Centennial, Citra & Simcoe and hops wise it didn't taste completely different to a poorly stored hop hog. (I'm not a very experienced brewer so pretty happy with it)
I agree, I bottled an IPA with hop hog numbers a couple of weeks back (5.8% abv, 50 IBU), using Centennial, Citra and Amarillo late, and it's pretty similar too. I bittered with Warrior, but that doesn't seem to make much difference to the end flavour in this style IMO.

I'm looking at brewing a hop hog style IPA in a couple of weeks. With all the differing opinions on what's correct/the best in this thread I'm finding it hard to put together a suitable hop schedule. I understand I'm shooting for 50 IBU but I'm unsure of my timings and amounts.

I'll be using:

~97.5% JW Pilsner
~2.5% Munich I

The hops I have available are:

Galaxy
Citra
Centennial
Cascade

Does anybody have any recommendations (from experience), as to a suitable hop schedule to use here? Using as many or little of the hops as I might need?

Thanks in advance!

maldridge said:
I'm looking at brewing a hop hog style IPA in a couple of weeks. With all the differing opinions on what's correct/the best in this thread I'm finding it hard to put together a suitable hop schedule. I understand I'm shooting for 50 IBU but I'm unsure of my timings and amounts.

I'll be using:

~97.5% JW Pilsner
~2.5% Munich I

The hops I have available are:

Galaxy
Citra
Centennial
Cascade

Does anybody have any recommendations (from experience), as to a suitable hop schedule to use here? Using as many or little of the hops as I might need?

Thanks in advance!
I'll would go the bottom 3 and with an IBU of 50, and using jw pils, I would think a little more munich or malt from somewhere, what mash temp are you considering.

if chilling

5 IBU at 60 one high AA hop

15 at 30 citra and centeniul equal (7.5 ibu each)

15 at 10 all 3 equal (5 ibu each)

10 at 5 all 3 equal

same amount at flameout/whirlpool as above (should give you 5 ibu)

20g, of each dry

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of mashing around 67. I could bump up the Munich to maybe 5%? It would seem the colour I'm after will be spot on at this level.

I might stick with the three C's as you mentioned and leave the galaxy for another day.

I don't know from a lot of experience but agree that you would probably want some more malty flavours in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Only reason I decided on my grain bill was because it was mentioned early on in this thread that hop hog uses ~97.5% bb galaxy malt (I subbed in JW pilsner) and 2.5% munich I.

Any suggestions to the malts?

If it were me, I would consider using 50-60% Maris Otter as the base malt to put some balls behind the hops, with the rest pale/pils and 2-3% crystal for colour if desired.

Other opinions will likely differ though.

Thanks for the tip mate, I will try out a grain bill with some MO as well.

MXD, I tried punching in your suggested hop additions into beersmith, and it seems like an awful lot of hops! Especially with mostly late additions ... Is it possible to up the earlier additions slightly to save on having to buy more hops?? Will I still get the aroma and flavour ? I'll post my updated recipe tomorrow when I'm back at my comp.

Thanks for the tip mate, I will try out a grain bill with some MO as well.

MXD, I tried punching in your suggested hop additions into beersmith, and it seems like an awful lot of hops! Especially with mostly late additions ... Is it possible to up the earlier additions slightly to save on having to buy more hops?? Will I still get the aroma and flavour ? I'll post my updated recipe tomorrow when I'm back at my comp.
if you put the hops in earlier you loose a lot of the aromatics and get more bittering. IPA is a very hop heavy style, only way to get the flavors for the style is by using metric f&@k tons of hops.

Yeah the more early hops you put in the more late hops should go in too. It's a balancing act. Ibu should suit the amount of alcohol (specific gravity) and flavour aroma hops should balance it all so that it doesn't taste super bitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So here's what I'm going with.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hop Hog Clone
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 58.04 l
Post Boil Volume: 53.04 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 50.00 l
Bottling Volume: 50.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 12.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 50.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.50 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
6.64 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 2 49.0 %
6.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 48.0 %
0.42 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 4 3.1 %
15.69 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 9.2 IBUs
20.92 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 7.9 IBUs
17.47 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.9 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
53.35 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.2 IBUs
29.29 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 5.2 IBUs
24.58 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.2 IBUs
57.53 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 3.1 IBUs
32.43 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 3.2 IBUs
26.67 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 3.1 IBUs
55.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
31.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.3 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 18 -
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 21 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13.55 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Tempera Step Time
Mash In Add 37.34 l of water at 72.8 C 66.7 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 19.79 l of water at 94.6 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 16.48l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

i've been trying to figure out a no chill version. my 5th AG, 1st no chill, cheapo stove-top method.

i'm still trying to get my head around the no-chill additions and how to balance out the hops in general, so i thought it best to ask for some advice this time around.

here's what i have from brewmate, no chill ticked:

23 ltr batch

5000gm jw pilsner
250gm caramunich
250gm carapils
us-05 yeast

citra 15 gms 40 mins - 24.35 ibu
amarillo 15 gms 0mins - 5.71 ibu
centennial 15gms 0mins - 6.05 ibu
cascade 15gms 0 mins - 4.57 ibu
citra 15gms 0 mins - 9.14 ibu

total ibu: 49.8, close enough to the 50 i was aiming for.

my question is since i've treated my 15 minute chilled additions as 0 minutes no chilled, do i then need to cube hop 20 minutes later to simulate a chilled flameout addition? and how much hops should i dry hop?

you could if you like but i reckon just dry hop from there. perhaps about 3g/L for a big heavy IPA like that.

citra is amazing dry hopped at those big levels.

ian4379 said:
would you go all citra dry hopped pr a mix of those 4?
i'd either have it on its own because i LOVE the citra aroma, or just pairing it with one of the others. i love that signature citra aroma up front, then having my tastes explore the differences of hops i've used mid-boil. personally i'd just use citra but it's entirely up to you mate :)

Just drinking a hop hog from the bottle now. Just bought some with the new label, so know it must be pretty fresh. Aroma gives me a big slap in the face of mango. Even my 10 yr old daughter said, "mango" when I asked her what my beer smelt like. So I would have to say that there is definitely Citra in there because that tends to give a definite mango flavour from what I have experienced! Not sure of other hops that give mango though. Love this beer, so maldridge, would love to know how yours is going?

I get a big whack of mango from Stella hops but don't believe they are used in HH IPA..

Might not have helped too much in regards to the actual recipe, but good to know if wanting to add some hints of mango to a brew.

Latest posts

Back