Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdbrown

Reaction score
Had a pint of Feral Hop Hog the other night at the Sail Anchor in Freo. What a fantastic beer. The aroma was like I'd just opened a fresh packet of hops. After doing some research and cobbling together some other recipes I've come up with the following in the hope that it's something like the original. Comments or suggestions most welcome. Not brewed this yet, but will do shortly once I get my hands on the hops and a fresh smack pack.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 35.00 L
Boil Size: 45.25 L
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 17.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 47.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5Grain 90.91 %
0.35 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3.74 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 2.67 %
0.25 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 2.67 %
40.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
22.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort HopHops 21.6 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (15 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
20.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (15 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
10.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
10.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
20.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.35 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Saccharification Add 28.05 L of water at 74.6 C 68.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

I look forward to hearing about the results bloke :icon_cheers:

Same here mate interested to here how it compares, cant help myself with this beer at the local havent had one for a while though

Big aroma hit & flavour, then bitter as a barstard, finishing off with a real mans malt backbone then all together well balanced

At 5.8 percent Im quite happy to peel off on a lesser beer after this one but for me it sets the tone for the night

Im a BB ale man must branch out a bit but love the Aussie malt

Love munich 1 but havent tried 2 or 3 yet

Have been doing APAs with 500g munich 1 with crystal next one 1kg munich1

All the best with it CD let us know how it went

Can I offer you my unbiased opinion when you are done?

Please...

Just using the MO as that's what I have in stock. I do have some munich 1. Would you recommend swapping out the vienna or replacing some of the MO with munich 1?

I know from inside info that the grist is:

97.5% Galaxy malt (Probably different now due to availability)
2.5% Caramunich I
mashed @ 67

I ended up modifying the recipe slightly and ended up with the following

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 88.0 %
0.40 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.7 %
0.60 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.6 %
0.30 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (71.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.8 %
48.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
48.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs
36.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 26.8 IBUs
28.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 9.4 IBUs
28.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 7.8 IBUs
14.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 2.9 IBUs
14.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 3.4 IBUs
14.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 1.9 IBUs
14.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 1.6 IBUs
24.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
24.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [1000.00 ml] Yeast 18 -
7.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
2.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 90.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
42.00 l Guildford - average Water 1 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 53.8 IBUs Calories: 555.6 kcal/l
Est Color: 9.8 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 10.80 kg
Sparge Water: 19.66 l Grain Temperature: 12.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 80.0 C Tun Temperature: 12.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.55

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 34.40 l of water at 75.3 C 66.0 C 100 min
Mash Out Add 0.16 l of water and heat to 80.0 C over 15 min 80.0 C 10 min

Sparge Step: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (19.66l) of 80.0 C water
Mash Notes: Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash

Measured OG was 1.059, dry hop at about 70% ferment complete (4th day) and hit FG of 1.012 on 6th day. Let it sit for 4 more days before chilling, going to keg it tonight.

Tasted it throughout ferment to see how it changes. Amazing to note the change from a slight bitterness at the beginning to the strong bitterness at the end as the sweet wort is converted to alc. One thing I noted is the hop flavour diminished over time and I'd hoped the dry hop would bring it back, but unfortunately it didn't. Its not to say the hop flavour isn't there, it's just not as pronounced and upfront as I'd like. Definitely lingers in the middle of the mouth after taking a drink.

Any recommendations to improve the upfront hop flavour - more hops at a certain time?

Any recommendations to improve the upfront hop flavour - more hops at a certain time?

My 2 cents = Swap the marris otter for something else, BB ale, maybe even try JW Pils.
I have found Wyeast 1272 , can help bring out hop flavour in APAs and the like

cheers

Wyeast 1272 in my experience doesn't like high hopping levels and is prone to dropping out early, especially with high levels of crystal, you'll end up with a mess of a beer. Though 1056 is known for muting hop levels as well.
Subbing out the Base malt to some crap like JW Pils will lose all the malt background. Perhaps you've got enough crystal to compensate, but whilst I agree it will make the beer taste more bitter it won't enhance hop flavour.
You should be getting loads of hop flavour with that sort of dry hopping rate, my attempt at a Rogue Red Ale clone had quite a lot of hop flavour and your hopping rates seem to be pretty close to mine linky
Bring a sample along to the meeting on Monday and we can pick it apart then, not much else happening.

Measured OG was 1.059, dry hop at about 70% ferment complete (4th day) and hit FG of 1.012 on 6th day. Let it sit for 4 more days before chilling, going to keg it tonight.

Tasted it throughout ferment to see how it changes. Amazing to note the change from a slight bitterness at the beginning to the strong bitterness at the end as the sweet wort is converted to alc. One thing I noted is the hop flavour diminished over time and I'd hoped the dry hop would bring it back, but unfortunately it didn't. Its not to say the hop flavour isn't there, it's just not as pronounced and upfront as I'd like. Definitely lingers in the middle of the mouth after taking a drink.

Man I am hoping to have a taste of this next monday!!

I wonder whether the dry hoping before the primary was completely finished has affected the amount of hop flavour and it diminshed due to the fermentation process driving out some of the very volatile components. Have you always dry-hopped in this manner (adding it a couple of days before reaching FG)? Also it looks like they were in there for around 5 - 6 days? Is this how long you normally dry hop?

I have just dry hopped my Alpha Pale Ale clone linky (aiming for 7 days post FG) so it won't really be ready for Monday's meeting, but will see if i can bring some along anyways as it may give a reasonable comparison with similar hop addition times (though mine has a high alpha addition at 20 mins).

Cheers
:beer:

I normally dry hop around 70% through ferment as it's what I've heard or read is a good time to do it as there's still some activity in the fermenter to aid in mixing throughout the beer but not alot which drives off all the volatiles. Probably heard it on a brew strong podcast.

I'll bring some bottles along - they will be under carbed but I'll try my best to get some carb using the carb cap.

:icon_offtopic: I quite enjoy Feral's Hop Hog, however the pint I had the other day at the queens seemed to have way too much hop flavour for the IBUs, has anyone else had this issue?

Never had it on tap outbreak but whenever I open the stubbie the smell then the taste hits me

Went to a bucks do the other night & Jeromy (Ferrel) had Ferrel wit on tap for the boys I told him I love the Hog & he said they use 4 hops & everyone cant guess the last one hop in there.

Also said that there is Rye malt in there dont know as never brewed or tasted Rye malt

If thats that big malty flavour Im brewing with Rye ????

Jerrome isnt the brewer so not sure any comments out there about the Rye ?

Still love munich 1 lots of malt flavour

So anyone brewing this beast tried the epic punk IPA the other day I recon the local one is better but did really enjoy the punk

OT - dropped in to the Platform Bar in Brissy and had one for the first time, $15 a stubby???? :blink: :blink:

If I didnt feel like I have just been ripped off I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more.

Apart from that, I would be keen to hear how this one turns out

Cheers

Never had it on tap outbreak but whenever I open the stubbie the smell then the taste hits me

Went to a bucks do the other night & Jeromy (Ferrel) had Ferrel wit on tap for the boys I told him I love the Hog & he said they use 4 hops & everyone cant guess the last one hop in there.

Also said that there is Rye malt in there dont know as never brewed or tasted Rye malt

If thats that big malty flavour Im brewing with Rye ????

Jerrome isnt the brewer so not sure any comments out there about the Rye ?

Still love munich 1 lots of malt flavour

So anyone brewing this beast tried the epic punk IPA the other day I recon the local one is better but did really enjoy the punk

There was a Rye IPA there a few weeks ago so might have been confused.

OT - dropped in to the Platform Bar in Brissy and had one for the first time, $15 a stubby???? :blink: :blink:

If I didnt feel like I have just been ripped off I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more.

Apart from that, I would be keen to hear how this one turns out

Cheers

I am very happy with how it turned out and got some positive comments at the brew club. That being said it doesn't have the upfront fresh flavour I was hoping for which may have been due to not enough late hopping or that the hops had lost some of their mojo due to age and handling. Aroma and bitterness was there.

Plan on brewing something similar to this again, but this time will add cascade and increase the late/dry hop amounts.

I asked the same question when I was out there about a month ago and got the same answer, 4 types of hops and no one can guess all 4 and yep there is a bit of rye malt as well. couldn't get anymore out of them than that!!!

thought id post my two cents...

iv tried a fair few hog immitations, it being my long standing fav brew...

im currently watching for the hot break on this brew whilst drinking a few of my last hog attempt-

1.5kg briess Amber extract
3 kg Breiss Golden extract
1kg dried spraymalt
250g dried corn syrup

10g Citra, Galaxy, Chinook, 45mins (26IBU's)

10g chinook, 15g galaxy & citra, 15mins

15g galaxy, 20g citra, 2mins

25g citra and galaxy, dryhopping 14 days

thats a bit of an upgrade on the last one (just a bit of extra hops, tweaking the amounts), which was fantastic but was a bit too spicey and not fruity enough.

in regards to the "fresh hop" character mention, i know what you mean and have been thinking about that myself. i think this is where the fourth hop comesi n. personally i think it it a high farnesene variety to contribute green, fresh woody aroma and taste to the fuity and spicy backbone. iv got myself some Kahatu hops to try in my next batch to see if that gets it a bit closer.

thought id post my two cents...

iv tried a fair few hog immitations, it being my long standing fav brew...

im currently watching for the hot break on this brew whilst drinking a few of my last hog attempt-

1.5kg briess Amber extract
3 kg Breiss Golden extract
1kg dried spraymalt
250g dried corn syrup

10g Citra, Galaxy, Chinook, 45mins (26IBU's)

10g chinook, 15g galaxy & citra, 15mins

15g galaxy, 20g citra, 2mins

25g citra and galaxy, dryhopping 14 days

thats a bit of an upgrade on the last one (just a bit of extra hops, tweaking the amounts), which was fantastic but was a bit too spicey and not fruity enough.

in regards to the "fresh hop" character mention, i know what you mean and have been thinking about that myself. i think this is where the fourth hop comesi n. personally i think it it a high farnesene variety to contribute green, fresh woody aroma and taste to the fuity and spicy backbone. iv got myself some Kahatu hops to try in my next batch to see if that gets it a bit closer.

What yeast are you using with that??

Back