Hop Growers - New Bines Shooting Already?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
Hey Brewers and Hop Farmers,

I started my first hop plants late last winter - all in barrels. Had a pretty poor first year with very little yield.

They all died back during May. Today I went out to take down my the climbing rigs and ropes to help keep the garden looking tidy over winter.

On my cascade, I noticed new shoots already coming off the 'dead' bines (see attached)

I am in Canberra, and we're nowhere near the depths of winter yet...I think mister cascade might be a bit premature. Should I knock these puppies off or let them run?

photo_6_.JPG

Hey Brewers and Hop Farmers,

I started my first hop plants late last winter - all in barrels. Had a pretty poor first year with very little yield.

They all died back during May. Today I went out to take down my the climbing rigs and ropes to help keep the garden looking tidy over winter.

On my cascade, I noticed new shoots already coming off the 'dead' bines (see attached)

I am in Canberra, and we're nowhere near the depths of winter yet...I think mister cascade might be a bit premature. Should I knock these puppies off or let them run?

Yep, let them run! We are in Nicholls and my hops love the winter days of limited day light hours and cold soil temperatures. But then every night before bed I place eight hot water bottles around each 'mound' (refilling them again at midnight, cause I'm up anyway due to cold weather effects on my bladder), and turning on the towers of artificial lighting. It would be worth it if the buggas would flower during winter as well...

Goodluck...

mine have been doing this for the past month and the old growth has just died off.Give a good mount of mulch and forget about them.

Latest posts

Back