Hop Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofinder

Wild Elephant Brewery
Reaction score
I've just used some hop flowers for the first time today in my second AG brew -- have always used pellets in the past.

I was going along fine, had hit my mash temp alright and held the temp a lot better than last time. Then when trying to get the wort out of the kettle and into the fermeter, the tap blocked up. Then I tried siphoning the wort out, and my hose blocked up!

At this point it all went downhill as in a desperate attempt to get it into the fermenter I ended up pouring the wort through a strainer, no doubt dooming this batch to be badly oxidised.

Anyway, some questions for those that use hop flowers:
  1. How do you deal with all the extra crap that ends up in the kettle?
  2. Is there any advantage to flowers vs pellets?
  3. Does anyone in Adelaide want 70g of Styrian Goldings flowers ;)
I need a beer.

Cheers,
Dan.

First up I would check out this thread LINKY, a FB in the kettle will easily separate flowers and pellets.

Secondly get rid of the flowers :D :ph34r: Pellets are more processed and give up their oil much more readily.

Yeah, get rid of the flowers, id happily let you have a few beers at my place for them

One of those false bottoms looks like it would be handy anyway, but I'm not sure how I'd go about putting one my urn.

DOnt ditch the Flowers..... they are great! I love hop flowers!

Ger a false bottom and reap the rewards!

cheers

Wayne @ Beerbelly could probably knock one up for you.

Wayne at beer belly has a neat little gadget for stopping hop flowers ill be getting one soon its for the kettle and goes on your pick up tube looks good too.

At this point it all went downhill as in a desperate attempt to get it into the fermenter I ended up pouring the wort through a strainer, no doubt dooming this batch to be badly oxidised.

fiddle-de-dee ... lots of people (including me) strain their wort into the fermenter. HSA is highly over-rated. basic brewing mp3

Wayne at beer belly has a neat little gadget for stopping hop flowers ill be getting one soon its for the kettle and goes on your pick up tube looks good too.

Looking at the photo, I reckon it will fit in between the element and side of the urn. I reckon I might end up getting one of these. Would be fitting too, since that's where the bloody hop flowers came from in the first place!

fiddle-de-dee ... lots of people (including me) strain their wort into the fermenter. HSA is highly over-rated. basic brewing mp3

Interesting... will have to have a listen when I get a chance.

Here is a FB that i knocked up for about $20 in total. Haven't tested it yet but it is made from a SS bowl, drilling the holes was a bit tedious and i should probably drill more.... any comments on how this might go?
Also i usually use pellets but if using flowers do you use the same about of flowers as you would pellets?

CRIM0415.JPG

Latest posts

Back