Hop back

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
I am interested in using a hop back as I love that flavour and aroma from late stage addition.

I notice that they seem to all say no pellets ? Does anyone know if there is a way around this.

Secondly is there a reason it is out hot side of the chiller can you do cold side and what is the impact (I was thinking it would ensure no extra bitterness and lots of aroma)

Cold side won't extract any oils in the brief time it passes through.

No pellets as they just disintegrate. You might be able to put them in a bag depending on your setup but flow would not be great.

Flowers can be had easily, why is it a problem?

There are going to be a bunch of answers, Sierra Nevada use a Torpedo, basically a hop back during fermentation and say it gives a different result to just dry hopping the beer like a lot of other brewers do.
Which is I suppose is sort of where I think the answer will lie. Hot extraction will give different flavours and aromas to a cold extraction, just try making Iced Tea, cooled down tea looks, tastes and smells a lot different to tea leaves soaked in cold water in the fridge overnight yet both are just tea and water.

With a hot wort, well we all know hot dissolves things faster and more effectively than does cold, it will also dissolve different things, the wort sugars will block some flavours and increase extraction of others, alcohol is a solvent for some chemicals that wont readily extract in wort (hot or cold).

Pellets are just hop cones ground up real fine and extruded through a die, problem is they are real fine and will go through anything but a very fine filter and a very fine filter will block up in next to no time, if you T-Bagged some hops, put the T-Bag in a hop back and ran hot (or cold) wort through and around them on the way from the kettle to the fermenter that might give you a reasonable extraction without all the hops just washing over into the fermenter (sic dry hoping the fermenter)

Personally I don't think you will get anything like as much hop character as you would like with a cold extraction, it is a good way to get more aroma, aroma molecules are by definition volatile and although the extract well into hot wort they are also ejected quickly, which is one reason a hop back is traditionally between the kettle and the chiller.

Mark

Argon Method
Reserve a litre of wort overnight. Boil and add to coffee press with the late addition hop pellets. Carefully press down and add hopped wort immediately to wort in fermenter.

Moad said:
Cold side won't extract any oils in the brief time it passes through.

No pellets as they just disintegrate. You might be able to put them in a bag depending on your setup but flow would not be great.

Flowers can be had easily, why is it a problem?
I just have a 4kg of pellets (long story) that I would or refer to use.

Bribie G said:
Argon Method
Reserve a litre of wort overnight. Boil and add to coffee press with the late addition hop pellets. Carefully press down and add hopped wort immediately to wort in fermenter.
I would have thought infection would be a problem doing this, or does the high hop percentage solve that

You could make loads of hop tea and freeze it? Instant dry hopping!

skb said:
I would have thought infection would be a problem doing this, or does the high hop percentage solve that
It isn't, hops have natural anti-bacterial properties... that's why dry hopping doesn't cause infection.

skb said:
I just have a 4kg of pellets (long story) that I would or refer to use.
Go an buy some stockings and put the pellets in the foot of the stocking. Leave a lot of room when you tie it up so the pellets can float around inside the stocking.

Or buy a hop sock.

Back