Hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florian

Back On Track
Reaction score
Just a very quick one, have about 10 minutes left until my next hop addition.

Am brewing a hefeweizen, my very first AG (9l mini BIAB). Am aiming for about 16 IBU. I have added 12g (2x 6g in two hop bags) Hallertau as per beersmith, but then realised that I had added the wrong boil volume. When I changed it from about 4 to 10 liters, the IBU changed dramatically, so i quickly took 6g hallertau out of the boil. It had been in for about 8 minutes.

But what am I gonna do with it now? I have another 4g hop addition @ 15min. Do I add the 4g or would the 8 min addition already be enough?
Sorry, haven't got enough time to go more into detail, I might just be completely too late.

Thanks
Florian

Probably too late. But no need for a late addition for a hefe. 4g won't make that much difference though. Maybe add it right at the end.

Thanks Stuster. It's all over now, saw your post too late.
Have added the 4g 15 minutes before the end. Actually I have waited a bit, so the 60 min addition is more like a 70 min.

It's only a 9l mini BIAB, and I tried to convert from a recipe I saw in the DB, that's how I got to 4g. And I am very new to Beersmith too, only played with the trial for a few days.

Nevermind, I am sure it will all work out well.

Florian

Probably will be fine. What was the full recipe?

Am desperately trying to copy the recipe from beersmith, but don't seem the find that option.

Go to My Recipes. Single click on the recipe you are after. (Probably best to choose Text as the style from the drop down box at the top middle.) Then copy the recipe from the pane at the bottom (have to use the mouse rather than keystrokes). Paste to AHB. :)

Cool, that was easier than I thought. In Brwmate there is actually an option to export the test file in a forum friendly format, so i was looking for something similar. Anyway, here it is:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hefeweizen 9l
Brewer: Florian
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 9.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 13.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
300.00 gm Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 13.51 %
885.00 gm Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 39.86 %
885.00 gm Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 39.86 %
150.00 gm Caramel Wheat Malt (90.6 EBC) Grain 6.76 %
6.00 gm Hallertauer [8.10 %] (60 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
4.00 gm Hallertauer [8.10 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1 Pkgs German Wheat (Brewtek #CL-0920) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 2220.00 gm
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Notes:

All grains are Weyermann. The yeast will actually be Craftbrewer Weizen (dry). Not sure yet if I add a whole or only a half packet. It is cooling in the garage at the moment, will probably transfer to a 15l cube tomorrow morning. Quite excited about my first AG, loved the smell in the garage.

Next time making a low bittered weizen, I'd stick with the one bittering addition and let the yeast do the talking.

Latest posts

Back