Honey Wheat Beer Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parrothead

Reaction score
I'm pondering a honey wheat beer, never made one. Have used honey in beer before, just not in a wheat beer. I'm not looking to make a Belgian wit or a German hefeweizen. I'm thinking of using a Coopers wheat beer tin that I have on hand and a kilo of honey. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

A couple of threads worth reading on honey and wheat...

honey

wheat

The main issue with honey IMO is that it needs time to mature before tasting good, where wheat beers are best enjoyed young. Finding the optimal maturing time might be the key.

I recently added 1/2 kg honey to an under target Golden Ale after primary fermentation finished, and was surprised how little honey flavour was left in the finished beer.

I recently added 1/2 kg honey to an under target Golden Ale after primary fermentation finished, and was surprised how little honey flavour was left in the finished beer.

Yes I cannot taste honey in Beez Neez but others can.
Need a strong flavoured honey to get much taste IMHO.

A couple of threads worth reading on honey and wheat...

honey

wheat

The main issue with honey IMO is that it needs time to mature before tasting good, where wheat beers are best enjoyed young. Finding the optimal maturing time might be the key.

Thanks - I never gave the maturation issue much thought. But, I guess this is one of the reasons that we like to brew our own - to experiment with things like this! :icon_chickcheers:

try one of these

Morgans larger
1 kg muntons dry wheat malt
pride of ringwood finishing hops
wheat yeast
500gms or 1 kg honey its up to you how strong you want it

or

coopers heritage larger
1.5 kg coopers wheat malt
pride of ringwood finishing hops
wheat yeast
500gms or 1 kg honey its up to you how strong you want it

the morgans one was nice with a bit more than 500gms of honey so you can taste it

Back