Honey Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
I bottled an english bitter 2 weeks ago and have opened a couple of bottles to try and have had a really strong honey flavour. its quite over powering and feels like the beer has no real bitterness to it either.

It was a coopers english bitter with 500g of light dry malt added to it.

Anyone noticed this and is it normal? or is it something else?

What was the specific gravity at the end of fermentation? And also prior to fermentation?

I have tasted a beer made with this kit, and it is not particularly bitter. If there is some residual sugar in the beer, that will swing it towards the sweeter side. Honey is a quire specific kind of sweetness though, which makes me curious. What yeast did you use? It could also be diacetyl which, for me, can give an impression of more sweetness and contributes a kind of 'butterscotch' flavour.

What was the specific gravity at the end of fermentation? And also prior to fermentation?

I have tasted a beer made with this kit, and it is not particularly bitter. If there is some residual sugar in the beer, that will swing it towards the sweeter side. Honey is a quire specific kind of sweetness though, which makes me curious. What yeast did you use? It could also be diacetyl which, for me, can give an impression of more sweetness and contributes a kind of 'butterscotch' flavour.

pre ferment was 1.036 and final was 1.008. i didnt put much down in my brew book for this. i used the coopers yeast (had int on the packet) no idea about anything else

I've got the same kit on at the moment. Quite a different recipe to your one, but might be worth doing a swap once mine is done to see if there are any similarities in the honey taste.

From memory, mine is:
1.7kg Coopers English Bitter Kit
1.5kg Liquid LME
250g CaraPils (24-Hour Cold Steep)
250g Dark Crystal (24-Hour Cold Steep)
1kg Dextrose
20g Fuggles @ 15 Minutes
20g E.K. Goldings @ 5 Minuites
1 x Sachet SafAle S-04 Yeast

It's been in primary for four days now and the bubbling is slowing.

I don't usually add dextrose to my brews, but wanted to kick up the alcohol a little on this one.

I've got the same kit on at the moment. Quite a different recipe to your one, but might be worth doing a swap once mine is done to see if there are any similarities in the honey taste.

From memory, mine is:
1.7kg Coopers English Bitter Kit
1.5kg Liquid LME
250g CaraPils (24-Hour Cold Steep)
250g Dark Crystal (24-Hour Cold Steep)
1kg Dextrose
20g Fuggles @ 15 Minutes
20g E.K. Goldings @ 5 Minuites
1 x Sachet SafAle S-04 Yeast

It's been in primary for four days now and the bubbling is slowing.

I don't usually add dextrose to my brews, but wanted to kick up the alcohol a little on this one.

ryan no worries. hopefully the twins are born before tastings.

also 25/26 of feb is the south west beer festival

Back