Homemade stir plate in progress.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lael said:
Mick, if you've got any links handy for awesome ones I'd like to see them!
On the mobile atm, but one of the best I saw was actually through the digital home brew website. 3D printed structure in an offensive orange colour. I liked it and got the same colour in perspex.

Others have used external hdd enclosures, cigar boxes...

Lol thanks everyone, it all makes sense now. All I had was the one magnet from a Harddrive, which I broke in half because it was too big for my rough arsed hacksawed hole.

So I'll prise off the washer with one magnet on, add something larger to sit on the fan and put two magnets on it, north and south.

When I broke the magnet in half, one part of it flew into a bucket of screws, that was a task getting a ball of screws out of a narrow necked jar :)

MastersBrewery said:
You need two magnets on the fan

MB
This seems so obvious now :)

Sigh.

I have intention, enthusiasm and lack the research bit.

Why I thought one magnet would cause the stir bar to spin is....... Interesting.

mofox1 said:
Lol! If he's got himself a monopole he (or his pole ) is going to be the interest of a great deal of physicists.

:D

Mick
Haha too many drinks go the blues

Woohoo it works.

Scavenged, borrowed and built this for free. Bit of blue food colouring in wAter for photo.

Attached the photo this time.

image.jpg

Kiwifirst said:
Attached the photo this time.
Good one... hope my not-so-free one will work just as well :D

With any luck I might even do a bit more on it tonight.... (it mostly still looks like the orange pits of plastic on the AHB home page)

Nice. I haven't got that much vortex action going. But I have the same box set up, so I am expecting much more action with a smaller starter. My trail was with 3l. Good to see your video.

Back