Home Brew On Tap At Your Local

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
Just wondering what the process would be to get a local homebrew on tap at the local (in NSW).

I know there is plenty of legislation to read through, and lots of red tape, but in the end would it be worth the effort.

It would be interesting to have a rotating beer of the fortnight to try on tap, and maybe the local pub would be interested in trying this providing there was no additional cost to them to set this up (and then of course its ongoing support would rely on whether anyone decided to drink it).

The home brews sometimes found on tap at places like Archive (in Brisbane), are made to recipe at a commercial brewery with the necessary licenses/permits to do this. If there is not a brewery near by, what alternatives would there be?

What costs would apply to a pub to be allowed to brew onsite?

Big hassles, I would say, for a small brewing operation. The tax & excise, payable up front, alone would make it non-viable for a small homebrew volume, if you factored in your labour costs. You may also need to be operating as a producer, which means Council approval, fire safety standards, Sydney Water would need to know what's going into the runoff, your grain waste would need to be outlined, and countless other hops to jump through. This is all speculation, bt I dont think its as easy as laying a few kegs onto the local landlord.

Big hassles, I would say, for a small brewing operation. The tax & excise, payable up front, alone would make it non-viable for a small homebrew volume, if you factored in your labour costs. You may also need to be operating as a producer, which means Council approval, fire safety standards, Sydney Water would need to know what's going into the runoff, your grain waste would need to be outlined, and countless other hops to jump through. This is all speculation, bt I dont think its as easy as laying a few kegs onto the local landlord.

Smaller than a small brewing operation - would be more like home brew club getting their best beers put on tap to see what the patrons think. Making money out of such an exercise would not be an objective, though of course the venue would have to make their normal profit per glass sold.

I think the excise on a keg of beer is around $50, and a lot more per litre on a lower volume such as cornys. That needs to be paid as soon as it leaves the brewhouse. Would you be prepared to pay the ATO up-front?

Plus the need for food safety approvals etc

so much bloody red tape. Would be good though.

what about $5 for a bowl of nuts and it comes with a free beer??

What if you just gave it to the publican to give away?

Wouldnt work as publican would reduce sales of other beers that would bring in income. The only way they would take something like this on would be if they could sell at similar price to the commercial beers already on tap.

Wasn't Ross gonna give a speel about this very thing at the Toowoomba craft beer festival the other w/e?, selling your homebrew to pubs?
Maybe ask him? and post it here?

There was a 4 page thread a few months ago that went through all of the legal in-s and out-s. And probably another 20 threads before that for each time this question pops up every six months.

Somebody should really make one of them a wiki page and end it once and for all.

+however many I have and I'm checking down the back of the couch for more.

This isn't www.aussiecommercialbrewers.com and no-one else is as stoked about your beers as you are. You want your mates to enjoy it? Invite them around your house. They'll probably even turn up.

+however many I have and I'm checking down the back of the couch for more.

This isn't www.aussiecommercialbrewers.com and no-one else is as stoked about your beers as you are. You want your mates to enjoy it? Invite them around your house. They'll probably even turn up.

Well said, and quite amusing

I think you will find that in most pubs these days the respective breweries own the taps or at least the majority of taps and therefore it prohibits, or at the least restricts, anothers' beer being served.
I know there are exceptions in some venues however, this, and with what has been state above, bums' idea has merit if you need a feedback.
All this aside, it would be a good idea if it could be implemented.

Cheers

Back