Home brand draught - what's in the can?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thebigtwist said:
big w has great range at the moment seems to be getting better, got a super automatica bench capper for cheap only thing was boxed in a brigolow brand box, and range of coopers cans is getting better
Shame they don't stock the Thomas Coopers selection... Oh well - I'm doing all grain brews now anyway -_-

It would be good to see them carry them but they won't stock em because they won't sell really. People who go to those stores generally don't care too much about what they are drinking. The fact that the homebrand tin says use a kilo of sugar and ferment between 25*c and 35*c is proof that the marketing of the stuff is inline with that,. :icon_vomit:

I ain't one to be telling people who like the end result of that that it's shit and shoudn't be drinking it. If you like what you make then thats all that matters. (Personally the only thing nastier than that is leaving a shipment of wyeast sitting in the sun on a summer's day.)

I'll post back with results from my experiments.

Just a quick update boys...my other local woolworths is clearing ALL of their homebrew gear..carb drops and all.

Homebrand range = 4,53$
Coopers base range = 7$
Coopers APA = 9$
Tooheys Draught & Lager = $6.5
Carb drops =$1.88

Walked in for coleslaw & Water crackers
Walked out with:
8 homebrand lager
4 Coopers APA

All for just $70.

It was a....pain lugging 20 kilos of tinned malt home on foot. Alas, a man has to earn his keep.

With that, it's beer time.

Proof that i am a madman:
[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
jy8u.jpg

rheffera said:
local woolworths
Which Woolies is yours mate? I'm in Adelaide too and I haven't seen any cheapies going out...

Sefton plaza mate. They have basically no Homebrand lager left or coopers APA thanks to me but still have alot of the base range and tooheys and homebrand draught.

The one directly across the road (Northpark) now only carries Coopers APA, Dark Ale and Lager i think. Nothing else homebrew related. No crown seals, no carb drops...

rheffera said:
Sefton plaza mate. They have basically no Homebrand lager left or coopers APA thanks to me but still have alot of the base range and tooheys and homebrand draught.

The one directly across the road (Northpark) now only carries Coopers APA, Dark Ale and Lager i think. Nothing else homebrew related. No crown seals, no carb drops...
Nuts - the Woolies I go to in Findon has a huge selection, think they keep all the coopers stuff including the different brew "enhancers" and light malt.

Yeah both these stores that cleared out their stock used to carry the enhancers and drops. Wonder why they are dropping all the stock? probably not selling. All the tins have another 2 years on their BB.

Iv'e bought some specialty malts to add to these kits to turn them into dark ales..Mixes of black, chocolate and roasted barley in various amounts. Will be steeping and adding fuggles.

Some im just going to keep to the kit only with some hops i haven't had before. Will report back on the experiments

Just put down my 2nd and last homebrand experiment for the year i think. No temperatrue control and summer fast approaching, so with adelaide's weather being 20 odd for the next 6 days i figured i'd put one down.

180g Special Roast
180g Special W
180g Roasted Barley
12G Fuggle Hop tea
Homebrand Lager TIn

IBU (Estimate based on coopers lager) = 40.

Total Cost = $12.
This will be interesting as i haven't tried Special W & Roast before. Cheap ass way to try hops and grains. This one is mostly to try the grain.

Made to 12L using dirty kit yeast.(Which smells oddly alot like the yeast that coopers gives out with their base tins)

Your more than welcome to sample the end results of my experiments damoninja.

Forever Wort said:
Lucky bugga!
Tell that to my spine. It's pissed with me for some reason

Nice mate. Love fuggle. I'll be trying some hallertau next home brand toucan.

So reporting back on the Home Brand Draught Toucan on top of a S-04 yeast cake.

Bottled a couple of weeks ago with 120g of sugar (Bulk Primed) for almost exactly 20ltrs of beer.

I would say it's like drinking a cheap Aussie style draught, didn't have a head to speak of so next time i think I might steep some grains to go with it.

But all in all for $7.20 a slab, I'm not really too sure how you can go wrong??

Tahoose said:
So reporting back on the Home Brand Draught Toucan on top of a S-04 yeast cake.

Bottled a couple of weeks ago with 120g of sugar (Bulk Primed) for almost exactly 20ltrs of beer.

I would say it's like drinking a cheap Aussie style draught, didn't have a head to speak of so next time i think I might steep some grains to go with it.

But all in all for $7.20 a slab, I'm not really too sure how you can go wrong??
Was the toucan simply the two cans with no additives?
What's the resulting beer like in terms of bitterness and colour?

Yeah just the 2 x homebrand draught can, nothing else.

I'll post a pic later when I can, had a slightly bitter taste, and a probably a touch darker than your average beer. It was reasonably clear I thought though.

Correction on earlier post. Put the toucan down last night and used hersbrucker not hallertau.

2x Homebrand Lager
250g light crystal steeped 3lt
500g ldme
30g hersbrucker boiled 20min
15g cascade end of boil
Pitched 2x Coopers kit yeasts
Fermenting around 20deg.

eungaibitter1 said:
Correction on earlier post. Put the toucan down last night and used hersbrucker not hallertau.

2x Homebrand Lager
250g light crystal steeped 3lt
500g ldme
30g hersbrucker boiled 20min
15g cascade end of boil
Pitched 2x Coopers kit yeasts
Fermenting around 20deg..
Going to have to give that a go. In to the ever growing to-brew list with it. Lord knows i have enough homebrand lager tins
Also went to the same woolies again today. Energy drinks taking up the spot where the brew stuff used to be. They have some homebrand draught tins 3 tooheys draught tins which i found on a refrigerated endcap. Ill stop by again tommorow and snap em up if anything is still left.

Same thing happened in the nearest woolies here. Very limited stocks now, home brand, coopers pale ale and tooheys. There's a foodworks though and it has an excellent selection for a small supermarket.

Hopeful for a good result on the toucan. Based it on having heard/read a number of times that cascade works well with hersbrucker.

eungaibitter1 said:
Same thing happened in the nearest woolies here. Very limited stocks now, home brand, coopers pale ale and tooheys. There's a foodworks though and it has an excellent selection for a small supermarket.

Hopeful for a good result on the toucan. Based it on having heard/read a number of times that cascade works well with hersbrucker.
never actually used hersbrucker yet myself, Only really farmiliar with cluster and cascade. Keen to give it ago

Give this a shot. I used the spreadsheet and assumed that the homebrand lager is similar to cooper lager.

Homebrand IPA

3 cans homebrand lager

100g Crystal 40
100g Crystal 60
100g Crystal 120
700g Munich I

Cascade 10g @ 60
Chinook 5g @ 20
Chinook 10g @ 5
Cascade 5g @ 5
Cascade 5g @ dry
Chinook 10g @ dry