Home brand draught - what's in the can?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoninja

Reaction score
This is a bit of a tangent of the cheap vs expensive kits topic...

It got me wondering - what's actually in the can of Home Brew draught???
Surely it's just the same goop as some other tin with a home brand label on it... But what?

A recipe was posted for 1 tin home brand draught, 12-16g galaxy for 10 mins and 1kg coopers BE2.

I thought I'd give it a go. Tasting it so far, it's not that bad. Currently at 1.014 so got a little way to go.

It's very pale in colour, so much that I reckon my hops have actually offset the hue a fraction.
Taste is a bit hard to pinpoint as the galaxy is quite pronounced... Might be easier when it's fermented out and less sweetness from leftover sugars.

I was wondering the same thing I saw Coles brand draught and Lager on the shelf. There are only a few companies making hopped extract so I wonder who cans the homebrand labels.

Tropical_Brews said:
I was wondering the same thing I saw Coles brand draught and Lager on the shelf. There are only a few companies making hopped extract so I wonder who cans the homebrand labels.
My guess was Coopers, purely an assumption based on the fact that the cans are about 70 cents cheaper in Adelaide compared to the rest of the country.

To support this - where are you and how much does your local Woolies stock the stuff for?

As for Coles - my local Coles only stocks 2 varieties of Coopers mix and nothing else... Not even the bags of dex/BE etc.

I'm guessing that a lot of those basic beer cans would have Pride of Ringwood hops in 'em, given the vast majority of our Aussie lagers use them....and beers such as Coopers Pale/Sparkling Ale.

my bet is isohop as its cheaper and easier to use in a big volume.

I've not bought it, but mid-north coast NSW in woolies its about ten bucks. I like the idea of the homebrand toucan.

At my Woolies they have Home Brand Draught and Lager for $8.23 as well as Coopers Pale Ale for $15.75 and Coopers Draught for $13.75. They also sell Coopers BE1.

Coles have put a bit more effort into their Home Brand packaging. I haven't tasted any of the Home Brand kits so have no idea if I would like them or not.

What's specifically in them? Sorry, no idea. I would be very interested in anyone confirming whether they are brewed by Coopers though.

Do post back the results, im tempted to give one a go myself, how much worse could they be really... :lol:

Are they aussie made? Who appart from coopers makes the goop here?

maxim0200 said:
Do post back the results, im tempted to give one a go myself, how much worse could they be really... :lol:

Are they aussie made? Who appart from coopers makes the goop here?
Tooheys do. But it could be an import, brigalow perhaps?

how do the Toohes and Brigalow cans stack up. ive only used coopers cans myself.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

sticksy said:
how do the Toohes and Brigalow cans stack up. ive only used coopers cans myself.Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
No idea but since Tooheys is garbage I'm going to say... Tooheys is garbage.

Cascade do kits as well apparently, but I've never seen them on shelves.

I did a Tooheys Special Lager once when I first started. I added a kilo of brewing sugar to it, and nothing else. Fermented at whatever the hell the ambient was at the start of January '12, with whatever the hell yeast it is that comes with it. It tasted like shit, so it was probably an accurate approximation of real Tooheys. :D

Forever Wort said:
I would be very interested in anyone confirming whether they are brewed by Coopers though.
I know they were made by Coopers about 25 years ago because I use to deliver them.

I would be surprised if they are not still.

I've used a lot - Coopers and Cascade the best of the Aussie ones.

Briess the best over all.

pcmfisher said:
I know they were made by Coopers about 25 years ago because I use to deliver them.

I would be surprised if they are not still.
Thanks for the tip.

I bottled the stuff last night, it's a little light on flavour... if I were to do it again I'd drop the BE2 for full 1kg LDME and drop the volume to 20L.

Unless it conditions magically. Will revisit in 3-4 weeks.

I currently have a "Home Brand Draught" Toucan fermenting which was put on to the yeast cake from a previous brew. The yeast was safale s04.

I pugged it into Ianh's spreadsheet and for arguments sake I put it in as 2 x Coopers Draught cans... The OG from the brew and the suggested on the spreadsheet matched up at 1.050.

Should hope to bottle mid next week. Just a bit of an experiment and for a total cost of $18.53 if I end up with 20 odd litres of beer then who knows.

If it ferments out ok I should be looking around the 5% ABV mark...

I currently have a "Home Brand Draught" Toucan fermenting which was put on to the yeast cake from a previous brew. The yeast was safale s04.

so after I bottle my current brew I can just get two cans of say, Real ale, straight on the yeast cake and brew? no need to add the supplied yeast?

what if I put a couple of malt cans in for an all malt brew, maybe with some dry hopped chinook or something?

other than saving yeast, what advantages does putting a brew on the cake provide?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back